General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Gasitman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service

So I know some of you will disagree, but I have to tell my story.
I bought my first Harley in November and have added well over $3500 in actual HD items, including $1500 worth of LED lights.

About 3 months ago my LED lights started to get moisture in them, so I went back to the dealer that I purchased them from, with box, and receipt in hand. They said that they were not sure if HD would warranty them, since they are electronics. Are you serious I said? These are $400, and 3 months old!!! It took 6 weeks, and countless phone calls from me, the dealer, parts manager and even the owner of the dealership to get HD to warranty these lights!

Fast forward to now, I got the metal cover that goes over the radio and the chrome cover that goes over the ignition switch and switches for Christmas from my ex girlfriend. I do not have the receipt, and I do not know what dealer she bought them from, does it really matter? They are HD items. They are peeling off because of the tape they use. I attached them as the instructions said, cleaned with alcohol, etc.

The dealer will not return them, since they would not get credit for them, and told me to contact HD customer service. Hd customer service told me to pound sand without a receipt. So I asked them what a receipt would do since HD would not return my LED lamps with a receipt. I bought a HD sweatshirt for my daughter for her birthday, after the first wearing and washing, the metal loop that holds the drawstring in, came apart. The dealer would not return it, because it was worn and washed. It was 1 week old! They said HD would not reimburse them for a worn item. Are we suppose to buy this **** and hang it in a museum? Each dealer that is a customer of mine has told me the same thing, HD service is horrendous, and they are always the bearer of bad news to customers.

HD customer service is the worst I have experienced in my life. They charge astronomical prices for crap, and will not warranty anything with or without a receipt. What happened to the customer comes first?

The customer service rep, (I use that term very loosely) even had the nerve to bring my company into it stating that what if this was a customer of mine, I told him flat out, it is the policy of the company to take care of the customer first and foremost, worry about where the money comes from later. And if we have to eat the unit, then we eat it.

I am at a loss of words over this. They do not care if you have a receipt, they will use any excuse not to cover their overpriced ****. I will never, ever spend another dime on a HD branded product. Kuryakyn will get all my business from now on. For the owner of a dealer to get involved on LED lights that would not be warrantied, is absolute horse ****!

Rant over.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Yup.

Although I wouldn't run out to Kuryakyn. A lot of other (better IMO) choices are out there ie Roland Sands.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
TxFF636
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gasitman, that sucks!! Sorry man, I would be pissed too.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

That's as good as it gets with HD CS

Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a one night stand with an HD customer service rep and before i left the next morning I told her i would call but never did. Hopefully that makes you feel a bit better.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Well that is the kind of arrogance that leaves an opening in the market for Indian.
Don't buy the Kuryakyn Adjustable Pegs.
Rivco's are much better, but corporate discourages Dealers from carrying them.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/794631-new-rivco-adjustable-passenger-floorboards-are-awesome.html

I don't add many parts on my Stage one 2003, so I haven't had to deal with your issues. I only buy USA made HD shirts so that has pretty much ended. Even their shirts still
made in USA aren't as heavy a material as they used to be.
Corporate is now restricting advertising sales. This is the kind of arrogant MBA bean counting that will bite them in the ***.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpoppa_Junior
I had a one night stand with an HD customer service rep and before i left the next morning I told her i would call but never did. Hopefully that makes you feel a bit better.
LOL. How many beers did you have? All the reps I talked to sounded ugly.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

The only way to make it better is to stop buying Harley stuff. That's all this world recognizes. That said, you're unhappy but there's somebody in line behind you who will pay and accept poor quality. So we're back to the first thing, stop buying Harley stuff. You won't change the world but you won't be frustrated by the lack of quality anymore.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
Yup.

Although I wouldn't run out to Kuryakyn. A lot of other (better IMO) choices are out there ie Roland Sands.
+1 on this Kuryakyn chrome is even worse than HD, I buy as little from the dealer as I can and never pay retail!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

oh my god, your chrome add-on do dads are not holding up and you don't have a receipt and you did not buy it there? for all the dealer knows, your daughter wore that sweat shirt day and night for a week and had already messed up the metal loop. then you wash it and try and return it? don't see where the dealer is wrong in those cases.
as far as the electrical problems go, sounds like the dealer went to bat and took care of the problem-just took a little while.
the moco and each individual dealer are in business to make a profit. they have set policies and procedures that have evolved thru the years. "do we warranty this or risk losing a customer" is the guiding force behind their policy. no returns without receipts, no returns on used clothing, no returns without original packaging, etc. are set policy at many types of business. electrical products will always be a grey area and create problems for many companies. your expectations seem a little high...and your company's policy has nothing to do with how harley chooses to conduct their business.
i feel that harley merchandise is over-priced and that i can buy better quality for less money else where. my only expectations/hope is that they will warranty any repairs to my bike during the warranty period...so far so good! i have all my service done at harley dealers-gotta pay someone to do it-and maybe the dealer will still be in business if i need warranty work. buy my helmets, jackets, boots, tires, oil, and so forth else where...based mainly on price/availability.
there are many times when i feel that people have a legitimate gripe/complaint about the moco and it's dealers. however, your rant is just that-a rant. your demands are unreasonable and your expectations too high. JMO

Quick Reply: Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service