General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

My boom speakers quit after 10 months. I went back to the dealer and they didn't have another system so the pulled one from another dealer in 2 days. They opened the box and swapped the speakers. 2 years later they are going strong. Satisfied me. Also my friend had a chrome blade wheel pit after 18 months. Another dealer different from the speaker replacement took pictures and had him a new wheel in 1 week. HD worked for us.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Harley's after-sale customer service BAD!!?? REALLY??? NAAAWWWW!!!

Well, anyway, you just learned the first rule of buying from the MoCo..make sure you have plenty of Vaseline on-hand for your after service dealings.

Didja ever go out with a HOTT babe? I don't mean just a cute chick, I mean a SMOKIN' Hott hottie? How'd she treat you? Like CRAP; right?? Hott women treat guys like crap, use them for their $$, dangle the cootchie in front of 'em like some merry-go-round prize. Why do they do this? BECAUSE THEY CAN!! And the guys keep comin' back for more abuse.

Well, think of Harley as the hott babe. They KNOW that no matter how poorly they treat their customers, they will not go to the competition. Because Harley knows they HAVE no competition. Just like the hott babe knows you ain't gonna leave her for an uggo or fatty that will treat you like gold, because the sex is too good with the hottie. Same with Harley. They KNOW you ain't gonna get that same feeling riding rice, that the "sex" is too good riding a Harley, so it's "screw you, pal".

It has always been human nature to take advantage of a desperate situation; the desperate situation here being Harley's fierce brand loyalty among its customers. I'm hoping Indian does something to change that. From what I've seen, the new Indians look pretty damn nice; they are about the ONLY company that I can see giving Harley any competition. Even Dickey hasn't ruled out possibly owning an Indian. I hope (but don't count on) that the Moco is quaking in their corporate boots!

They better be... the new Chief is at 18,999$ If the Chief is at that price point I wonder what the others will be at.... Hmmm

To the OP, Dickey is dead on right.. HD is that hot chick who is going to suck your money .... you get the idea. lol

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I've dealt with exactly five dealerships for the past 50 years of riding (Harley ones) and I've never experienced the abuse the original poster rants about. I recognize that ours is a expensive pursuit, but I also know that Harley dealerships don't enjoy volume sales, and they rely primarily on their service department to survive, and the new/used bike sales and Motor Clothes are where the profit is. The secret to customer satisfaction is a two way street. The customer should expect a quality product for his dime, and the dealer should do their best to retain that customer. All the dealers I've dealt with know this.

It is unfortunate that HD has farmed out much of their merchandise to the Chinese and other Asian countries. I much prefer to spend $50 for a shirt Made In USA, than one made in Bangladesh. To tell the truth, I've never been much on branded merchandise anyway. I don't have any tattoos, facial hair, black clothes etc. I just enjoy riding my Ultra. I don't need the "look". JMHO.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

OP
You did make some good points but overall the way you talk sounds like you have a agenda, or you just expect a little to much.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Gasitman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry no ajenda here. Just speaking my mind. I have wanted a Harley all my life and I guess that is what is disappointing. When you save for so long, and get something you have wanted since your a kid just to be crapped on. That's what hurts the most. This is not a Honda or Chevy. This is a such a let down that you want something like this, the lifestyle, etc, and you get let down. Since we want to compare this to women, this is that big busty chick in the club, you bring her home, the bra comes off and it's a stuffed pushed up bra. False advertising and sub standard goods.

I work very hard for the little I have. I'm a single dad, raised two girls on my own with no support, and managed to save for my dream of owning a Harley just to be let down time after time. If I did not enjoy he ride so much, I would walk away. It's just very disappointing that this whole HD experience is money driven and not customer driven.

Last edited by Gasitman; 05-18-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:05 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Without a receipt there is no way to know if it was bought at all, let alone from an HD dealer, let alone that particular HD dealer. And it sounds like they resolved the issue with the LED lights.

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure what your beef is.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Gasitman
Cruiser

My beef is it should not take 6 weeks with a receipt. I should be able to return a $80 sweatshirt with a receipt a week later after it broke. My beef is that they don't take care of customers WITH or without a receipt. How hard is this people? Do I need to draw a picture in crayon?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
I'm surprised that they did anything on electrical parts. No auto parts store or indy I know of will return/replace electrical parts. Can you post a picture at night with the lights on? I'd like to see what 1500 bucks worth of LED's looks like!
This. I'm picturing 7 BAL brake lights.

Op, stop arguing with the interweb. You may not lose, but you can never win.

Personally, I can't comprehend adding $3500 to the price of a new bike, then whining about how other people must be rich, much less comparing the return policy for a $6 no-moving-parts wrench to $400 in electronics, but hey ... you got a bug up your butt, and ranting here is safer than getting drunk and riding to the dealership with an AK.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gasitman
Sorry no ajenda here. Just speaking my mind. I have wanted a Harley all my life and I guess that is what is disappointing. When you save for so long, and get something you have wanted since your a kid just to be crapped on. That's what hurts the most. This is not a Honda or Chevy. This is a such a let down that you want something like this, the lifestyle, etc, and you get let down. Since we want to compare this to women, this is that big busty chick in the club, you bring her home, the bra comes off and it's a stuffed pushed up bra. False advertising and sub standard goods.

I work very hard for the little I have. I'm a single dad, raised two girls on my own with no support, and managed to save for my dream of owning a Harley just to be let down time after time. If I did not enjoy he ride so much, I would walk away. It's just very disappointing that this whole HD experience is money driven and not customer driven.
I suppose I'd be bothered at spending $400 on something that turned up defective too, but I think your bigger issue is what you said above. Most people find that the "lifestyle" is more imagined than real, so it ends up being more of what you make it now - good or bad. Give better focus to the fact you enjoy the ride. Hit the highway - the Harley spirit is in the motorcycle, not the branded accessories. JMO.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I get it. I like buying higher priced top quality items. I'd rather pay an extra $50 for boots that will last me 10 years rather than maybe 2. If I paid $50 more for shitty boots, it feels like you got shammed. Tack on no returns, or slow returns, it stings even worse.

Companies with a really high markup should at least make sure you're happy. I would also look for a different dealer.

Quick Reply: Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service