General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasitman
I can tell here who is "well off" on this board. You don't work hard for your money to just throw it away for something that you pay for.
Being well off has nothing to do with it. Some people just don't mind getting ripped off I guess, or they're blinded by their love of corporations or HD or marketing or something.

I like buying stuff from Best Buy. They have a 14 day no questions asked return policy (except laptops I think). I bought a Windows RT, realized it was a POS after a couple days, took it back, got my money back, no questions asked.

The good thing about cheap **** all over is I save a lot of money because if I think it's cheap, I won't buy it.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, this idiot was at the harley dealer this morning to have my oil changed. i furnished the mobil 1 v-twin oil that i picked up on sale a while back. bought the filter(black..chrome is extra) from the dealer--$38.63 later and i was back on the road and the bike had even been washed. i was wearing my wal-mart wranglers, bass pro shop boots, simpson helmet that i rode to the factory to pick up on a close-out deal, and a daytona tee that had all been purchased on sale. i am as frugal as most people. since i would never try and return used clothing period or other parts without a receipt to a place that i did not even buy them from, i have a hard time understanding why you are complaining. most of the replies agree with me to some extent. electrical accessories on a motor vehicle are a lot different than returning a computer--very few places are going to accept a return or replace electrical parts that were used on a motorized vehicle.
warranty work is part of the purchase price when you buy a new bike. that is the main reason many people buy new. the other side of the dealership is accessories, clothing, and other merchandise that relates to the core product-motorcycles. motorcycle sales/service and general merchandising are generally treated as seperate entities and each has to pull it's own weight and make a profit. the moco furnishes the bikes and replacement parts...the dealer buy merchandise accessories from a number of different wholesalers/suppliers--all with their own return/warranty procedures. it is unreasonable to think that a worn compensator sprocket or inner primary bearing claim is going to be treated the same as a used/worn sweat shirt. the parent company(moco) is standing behind the compensator or bearing, where as there is no telling who supplied the sweat shirt or what their return policy is.
OP was lucky that the used electrical was taken care of. expecting to return used clothing or parts without receipts is not being very realistic. as stated previously, JMO.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:44 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

If you really had a good idea of all the crap that people try to pull on returning items to the Dealers, and in general just about anywhere, you might appreciate the point of view of the Dealer and the MoCo. MOST electronics are NOT returnable. Pretty much understood unless noted upfront as otherwise. Sounds like you have some legitimate gripes but I also detect an underlying resentment that goes beyond just this experience. I think you might do better with a metric bike. Just sayin......

Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

The "A" version which was the first version of the light did have moisture problems. I waited until the next version came out to buy mine. Other people are having problems with this light also so you are not alone and HD should be warrantying this. I think the dealer did what they could to help you and got the issue resolved for you.

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 06-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Gasitman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To anyone thinking that a sweatshirt worn once and washed once with a receipt is not worthy of taking back be size it fell apart. I salute you with a finger. To anyone thinking $400 lights that are sealed from the factory that get moisture in them after 3 months I salute you with 2 fingers.

My point of this is that it does not matter if I had the receipt or not. They won't return any of their crap if it is defective. I should not have to buy additional tape to replace what was on there in the first place. I can see others have similar experiences. At least I know I am not alone. If sears can warranty a wrench for life with no questions asked return if its broken, Harley should warranty their items with a receipt within a timely manner. I can see if I had this stuff for 3 years and 30,000 miles. But all of this is under 6 months old.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasitman
To anyone thinking that a sweatshirt worn once and washed once with a receipt is not worthy of taking back be size it fell apart. I salute you with a finger. To anyone thinking $400 lights that are sealed from the factory that get moisture in them after 3 months I salute you with 2 fingers.

My point of this is that it does not matter if I had the receipt or not. They won't return any of their crap if it is defective. I should not have to buy additional tape to replace what was on there in the first place. I can see others have similar experiences. At least I know I am not alone. If sears can warranty a wrench for life with no questions asked return if its broken, Harley should warranty their items with a receipt within a timely manner. I can see if I had this stuff for 3 years and 30,000 miles. But all of this is under 6 months old.

Why don't you go buy your bike from Sears since you like their policy so well. Go get yourself a sweatshirt from Sears, wear it, wash it, and then return it and let us know how you make out on that deal. Get a light from Sears. Keep it for 3 months and see if they take it back.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Gasitman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Why don't you go buy your bike from Sears since you like their policy so well. Go get yourself a sweatshirt from Sears, wear it, wash it, and then return it and let us know how you make out on that deal. Get a light from Sears. Keep it for 3 months and see if they take it back.
Do you hear yourself? You act like I had this stuff for years. You act like I have no right to be upset at **** poor workmanship and quality for items that are severely overpriced?

You can think what you want, I think customer service should be A-1 priority for big companies. Many of you forget that HD was on its last breath in the 80's. Oh how they forget who actually carried them through tough times. Customers, not bankers.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have found that HD is an exceptional customer service company.

HD put a new stator in my 12 Night Rod Special under "Customer Satisfaction" as the little grommet on the wiring "may weep" at some point in time. It was not even leaking. I didn't even care about it. If any of the bikes develop a weep in that area ( many do) I would just clean it and the hole, goop it up with black sealer and put it back in. Repeat as/if needed.

I have never had an issue with any parts purchase/return. Some must learn to handle complaints in a very polite and gracious manner. Have all the receipts and be nice. One can win far more often that way.

Look in a mirror. The problem may be looking right back at you.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Red Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I have never had this problem with my dealer, I agree with the OP. Harley add ons aren't cheap and I get that. If I like it enough I usually pay the price but I think I have reasonable expectations of quality. Nothing grows a company like world class customer service. Look at Nordstroms, Zappo, ect. If I feel I didn't get what I paid for and I don't get satisfaction, the first thing I do is dispute the charges with my credit card company. If I don't get a reasonable outcome I can live with, I never, ever spend another penny with that business again. Knock on wood, I have been lucky up to this point with my purchases from Harley.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised that they did anything on electrical parts. No auto parts store or indy I know of will return/replace electrical parts. Can you post a picture at night with the lights on? I'd like to see what 1500 bucks worth of LED's looks like!

Quick Reply: Sorry, I got to rant about HD customer service