General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do ?

when I started my new job in December one of the things that was brought up was that I needed the first 10 days of August off so I could go to Sturgis
and now the one guy that did my training has put in for those days off
since we are the only two people that work in the field in my department we both cant be off at the same time , how ever they can take a guy from inspections to cover when one of us are out in service
this guy knew that I was going to take this time off and how much riding means to me but he has 6 years senority over me at this company
he also has turned into a whinner about everything I do ever since he found out I was hired in at what he was making after 6 years ,(of course I have over 30 years in the field) .
so What should I do ? should I rock the boat and bring it up to the GM who hired me ? as thechnicaly I will not have any vacation time on the books yet ? and I will also be taking a week off during May to go to my daughters graduation in Texas

Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What should I do ?

Dude, unless you are just as carefree as the wind (and you don't sound like you are), you do what you have to to satisfy the responsibilities you have to yourself and your family. Sorry, but no trip to Sturgis is worth a good job and putting yourself in harms way! Know what I mean Vern? Dave

Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

when I started my new job in December one of the things that was brought up was that I needed the first 10 days of August off so I could go to Sturgis

so What should I do ? should I rock the boat and bring it up to the GM who hired me ? as thechnicaly I will not have any vacation time on the books yet ? and I will also be taking a week off during May to go to my daughters graduation in Texas
You mentioned that your wanting said time off was - as you say - 'brought up?' Were you ever given any formal approval for taking said time off? Upon taking your new position, did you place your request for time off in writing to your superiors? The fact that it was 'brought up', to me, indicates informality.

You state that you have no vacation time, etc? If this new job is of any importance/significance to you, there really isn't anything 'to do' in my view. You work. Further to the point, as a new hire, why would you deem it appropriate to consider 'rocking the boat' and calling this situation to the GM who hired you/brought you on? Was this the same person with whom the subject was 'brought up' initially? Again, did he approve same? What was the response given when you brought it up at the time?

As an employer myself, I frown upon new hires coming on board and making waves while still on what many regard as a probationary period. Don't let your experience go to your head. As valued an employee as you think you are, there is always someone more experienced just around the corner. My suggestion: have some respect for the gentleman with 6 years your senior on the job and be glad that you are allowed the time off in May to attend to your daughters graduation. Just my take.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope, I'd forget about Sturgis this year. Try to get over it and move on.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the "new" guy on the job, no seniority and no accumulated vacation time, I don't think you have any choice. Sticking your foot up your co-worker's butt this early in the game just spells trouble for you. As you said, you have no formal vacation time accumulated since you were hired, it seems like the Company is letting you take time off for your family graduation, sounds like kthey've already done right by you as a new employee. Try working with someone for a long time who dislikes you and knows his way around the Company, not a good thing.

Say goodbye to Sturgis this year and put in for the time next year. Your co-worker doesn't happen to ride does he? May be a good way to start a conversation someday.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JOB! We don't need no stinkin' job!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are a criminal or you are independently wealthy and the job is only a way to "cover your tracks" you should place the highest priority on your source of gainful employment. I have never been to sturgis or daytona, dispite living in or near florida all of my life. You do not have to go. But who am I to set your priorities for you...oh that's right you asked us to. All of my life, if I had a job I liked or had to have, I always gave it the highest priority. That is what gives you the ability to pay for your bike, next years trip to sturgis, your family responsibilities...etc.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

I hate to say it, butI'd say there's no Sturgis for you this year....sorry man. If you want, you can give me the money you would have spent on the trip and I'll spend it for you?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd keep my mouthshut and plan on Sturgis next year.Next year I'd make sure I sent something(email) to my manager requesting the time off and save his reply with the ok.Besides if you went this year it sounds like the other guy would just be trashing you for the week you're out. You don't need that crap.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
waterman7474
Road Master

i'm gonna have to agree here too. i get new hires that do that and we will TRY to accomidate but can't always.

i would be upset about how this guy found out about what your getting paid!!! you've got some definate beef there, that is unless you're the one that told him!

it is also possible that he asked off for that time out of spite now.

you can't always get to do the fun stuff. i spent 2 thanksgivings and a xmas out in the middle of the ocean when i was in the navy. and another xmas out there when i worked for a survey company. granted that's NOTHING compared to a lot of people but it might put things into perspective. there will be other times. it would be one thing if you'd been every year and bla bla but in the scope of picking your battles, sturgis would seem pretty low.

Quick Reply: What should I do ?