General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking Bags - looking for a final review

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viking Bags - looking for a final review

I'm considering buying them, they look awesome and I read every post about Viking bags and I came to these conclusions, summing up the reviews posted:

Customer Service:
excellent customer service, Bobby (the owner?) goes to great lenghts to make sure people are sorted out if they have problems, sending replacings/missing items , whatever is needed to make the customer happy.
He seems to show a lot of integrity granting forum discounts to people that already purchased from him.

The bags:
Made in Pakistan, not real leather (obviously given the price) but very good quality for what it concerns the structure, molded plastic/abs inside to prevent losing shape over time, good waterproof sealing and the viking leather seem to be very good looking (like real leather) and durable.

Mounting Hardware:
Comes for free with the bags, sturdy, might have bolts with different heads, might not have the right bolts, but overall not huge problems here.

Locking mechanism:
this is where I put a lot of attention as this is what draw me to these bags.
There are contrasting opinion and experiences when it comes down to the locking mechanisms. It looks like you need 4 keys, one to close each bag lid and one for each QD bracket if you chose the QD option.

There have been reports that some (lid) locks were faulty or otherwise easy to open. Then there has been mention of an old type of lock and a new type of lock.... the new type being the one mounted on the top of the lid .

I would like to know please, from people who purchased the bags recently, how you rate the lid locks, how safe they are, could you slid a hand underneath the locked lid to grab the content of your bag, can they be easily tampered with, would you feel safe leaving your expensive gloves and camera/ipad inside the bag or do you believe they only provide very minimal theft protection?

Of course I'm eager to hear from Bobby/VikingBags as well, it would only be fair that he would have a chance to defend/explain the product...

Thank you.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a set of Viking Saddle Bags for my 2009 Sportster and overall am happy with them with the following caveats:

1) The bags themselves are well made, the locks on the straps and the locks on the QDS will only slow someone down a bit. The strap locks are meaningless, all a "bad guy" would have to do is use a knife to cut the strap for access into the bag. I make it a practice to never put a high value item (computer, camera, etc.) into the bag while in plain sight of anyone else.

2) The illustrations are difficult to understand and the parts numbering is for all practical purposes nonexistant. Also, the directions appear to have been written by someone whose first language is not American English.

3) The only major problem that I had was a discrepancy in the spacing between the attachment points on the QDS brackets. The left side is perfect, the right side is about an eighth of an inch off.

4) Having said all that - you're right, Bobby is eager to help if you have a problem and they have a fair price for a generally excellent product.

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will"
Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chassidic Judaism... ca 1750's

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My review of my Viking Bags...

I absolutely love these bags. As with any small, medium or large lock, if someone is determined and has the time they will get in. I've locked these and tried to get my hand underneath the velcroed sides and couldn't. I tried to lift the lid and couldn't. I hope this helps...

Here are mine...

View from above

Shock cut out view...

Over head view...

Bike view

Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I love mine and Booby is a great guy to deal with. I ride in the rain living in the Pacific NW and nothing has yet to get wet in my bags. Don't leave wet gloves in there because the bags are well sealed and may come out a little moldy after a couple weeks. I also have their tool bag that I mounted on the down tubes. Before my big trip I'm going to order the Quick Detach plates. My bags have the buckle strap locks. Yes a knife would take care of it, but what saddle bags are secure?? It just keeps the honest people honest. Thief's will get what they want if they want it.

My tools stayed dry so far. They also have velcro to keep it pretty well sealed.

Last edited by JaronB; 05-17-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 AM
RLE
Tourer

Got a swing arm bag from them and mounted it with a dead creek cycles dyna mount. They are both high quality products that look great. Am glad I went with the viking bag over others. They're easy to deal with too.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
milesvdustin
Tourer

My buddy has a set of the Viking bags, I have leather pros. I love mine, and his are great as well. His hold a good amount of stuff and work really well. They look good on his bike and it wasn't too hard to mount them, had to get some different hardware is all.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:43 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies and the pics guys, I couldn't have asked for more.

Are those twist locks made of metal or plastic please?

I've been using ammo cans as saddlebags for a couple of years, but the cargo capacity is limited and the looks... questionable, but I can lock them with a padlock and they are very safe. I don't put gold or cash inside, but I'm confident I can find my Gerbings gloves, Ipad, virtually anythign as they are... well... made of steel! It would take considerable effort to open.
The Viking bags like the ones Eve has, seem to have a lock on top plus two twist locks where padlocks could be used, so they could provide the perfect combination of safety, space and looks.
Also that "lockable" tool bag would ensure my emergency tools won't get stolen....interesting item...

Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ghira75
Thanks for the replies and the pics guys, I couldn't have asked for more.

Are those twist locks made of metal or plastic please?

I've been using ammo cans as saddlebags for a couple of years, but the cargo capacity is limited and the looks... questionable, but I can lock them with a padlock and they are very safe. I don't put gold or cash inside, but I'm confident I can find my Gerbings gloves, Ipad, virtually anythign as they are... well... made of steel! It would take considerable effort to open.
The Viking bags like the ones Eve has, seem to have a lock on top plus two twist locks where padlocks could be used, so they could provide the perfect combination of safety, space and looks.
Also that "lockable" tool bag would ensure my emergency tools won't get stolen....interesting item...

ghira - the twisties are made of hard plastic and yes you can padlock them as well.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I recently bought and installed a set on my Sportster. Overall, I'd say they're pretty nice bags for the money. They look good and function pretty well. If your first priority is quality, keep looking. But if your first priority is price, they're a pretty good deal.

I've had mine on for about 2 months now and they're working out well. The mounting is pretty ridged, firm & secure. They're also holding shape real well. But I did have a couple of rivets did pop loose (one to the lock & one to a Velcro strap) but it's nothing I can't fix myself.

If you're going with the quick detach set up, you're going to end up with 4 keys total. Each bag has it's own key as well as each quick detach bracket. That's a serious PITA drawback IMO.

The internals of the company has it's drawbacks as well. Bobby tries to be as helpful as possible, but I suspect he's chasing his tail and kept real busy putting their fires out. They missed sending my black signal relocation brackets with the bags, but Bobby got a set right out to me so I wouldn't have to wait another week. Strangely a chrome set showed up 6 weeks later, WTF? I've read about the same thing happening to others as well. I've also read posts by others that have a hard time & long waits on being refunded for items returned.

Other than that, all is well. That's been my experience with Viking bags. Overall I'm satisfied for the money spent.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM
TomLV13
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the Viking non-locking bags on my Low Rider for about a year now. So far they have held up great. Very satisfied with the quality....highly recommend!

Quick Reply: Viking Bags - looking for a final review