General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a very close call today

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Had a very close call today

Today I was riding on some back roads and this guy in a pickup was backing out of his driveway and he stopped so I thought he saw me but I slowed down anyway and kept an eye on him. Apperently it wasn't me that he was stopping for. There was another guy on a sport bike coming from the other direction that I didn't know was there because of a curve ahead of me. As soon as the other rider passed me this guy backed out in front of me and he wasn't going slow either. Before I knew it he was almost all the way across the road and I was hitting the brakes hard and swerving all the way across the road almost into the gravel shoulder on the other side. Talk about pucker factor. Well I ended up missing the bed of his truck by about a foot and the gravel by a foot. This was the closest I have been to death or being crippled for the rest of my life so far. Boy am I glad there was no other oncoming traffic or I would have been screwed as there was no other way to get around him.

Be safe out there everyone, the idiots are everywhere.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

I guess it worked out like it was suppose to...other than him backing out in front of you. You had your eyes on him and was suspicious and didnt count on anything.

What could you have done different?

Oh, and i bet the grass was a little greener and flowers a little more colorful after that wasnt it?

Last edited by straydog13; 05-15-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, I agree. Sounds like you had your alert button pushed and approached with caution but sometimes bad things just happen. Glad it turned out to just be a close call and not something much worse.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're Ok. Learn something from every close call

bebowebb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many things that could be said about the guy who backed out, etc, etc.

Best thing I can say - glad you made it through safe!

AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah after my heart beat went back to normal it was all good.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Did you "show him he was #1"? At least you're okay. Just plan on them completely backing out, even if they stop or slow down, IF it happens again.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 AM
johnnyhumble
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 24 Posts

Great job with the anticipation and remember to continue riding with your head on a swivel. I have quit counting how many close calls I've had over the years and instead treasure the rides themselves. Glad you are ok.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Very scarey when you have close calls, if I get a chance to tell them what they did then I usually do. Couple days ago a huge Dodge Ram truck did a U turn in front of me and 2 cars causing us all to slow from 45mph to 10mph. I already thought this might happen and had slowed a bit and changed lanes to give myself room. Then when we got to the next intersection Mr Dodge Ram decided he would zip in front of me at the left turn arrows without using his signal, again causing me to hard brake. His black truck was covered in skull logos and stickers, even his license plate holder.

At the next traffic signal I pulled alongside him and gestured for him to wind down his window. Expecting to see some young dude on account of the skulls I was surprised to see an 80 yo guy. I explained very nicely to him that he had cut off 3 of us with his U turn and me again at the left turn signal and to please be more aware of other vehicles AND use your signals. Well it probably won't made any difference if the guy drives like that but maybe he'll look twice and think next time.