General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nut Spinning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 PM
sambo42xa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nut Spinning!

Just wonderful, got my FuelMoto Tuner (ding ding...). Remove side cover, unplug Grey plug from ECM, now remove the two screws. Well, can someone tell me a trick to removing the two screws but only to have the two nuts spinning in the plastic molding where they are seated?! I removed the two hex looking nuts (special tool) holding on this plastic moulding so I could see behind the ECM where the nuts are and I can see them spin when I unscrew the screw. What's the trick?!
Already on my 2nd beer scratching my head.......
Thnx ahead of time...

Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought this was going to be something new me and the mrs could try.. what a disappointment..

anyway to squeeze the area around the nut with pliers or vice grips ? you may just have to break them out and put in bolts with a washer so it doesn't pull through.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM
sambo42xa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I thought this was going to be something new me and the mrs could try.. what a disappointment..

anyway to squeeze the area around the nut with pliers or vice grips ? you may just have to break them out and put in bolts with a washer so it doesn't pull through.
I'm sure if you and the mrs thought hard enough you'd both come up with something.
No. No way possible to grasp them. MAYBE..... use a 1/4" sheet metal screw, thread into the plastic (carefully) from the back side sort of pushing against bottom of screw???? I'll give this a try right now.
Anyone who has installed their PC knows which two screws I'm talking about right?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
sambo42xa
Cruiser

No good on the 1/4". Hole is almost 5/8". I can still try that option or I may just hacksaw the head off of the bolts and lift off ECM. I won't be using the stock ECM anymore so I don't need to replace the bolts/nuts at that point. The new unit as you know comes with Velcro and wraps. IF I ever do use it again, I can do what you mentioned, about the bolts with washers/nuts. Finishing 3rd beer and I'm done for the night. Got work in the morning.
In the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions??
*also adding: I tried a small enough brass punch and with a hammer tried to knock the bolts (shock it) maybe thinking it would jump a thread or something but it did not work. Probably wouldn't recommend it either cause you may be peening the end of the bolt a little over the nut and now it'll never come out.

Last edited by sambo42xa; 05-15-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Cut the heads off with dikes (diagonal cutters like pliers, not...oh,well) You can buy a pair where they sell tools. You'll need them again.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 AM
sambo42xa
Cruiser

Yeh, I think I'll just cut them off when I get home today. Like I said, I won't be using the stock one anyway.
Factory must have put thread lock on or something.
Thnx anyway.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 PM
sambo42xa
Cruiser

What a dummy I am. The only reason for removing the ECM is to be able to tuck the connectors under the battery pan. Then the ECM goes back in place. Well first of all I thought the ECM got taken out of the equation all together and the PC went in its place.
I was able to tuck the connectors under the ECM without removing it. Three tie wraps to mount the PC around the ECM and you're all set. See, I don't know everything!
Sorry for any confusion asking my questions earlier. All in all I'm the one confused!
Didn't get to road test yet...but I will tomorrow.
..dumb....dumb....dumb.....

Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

And that is how we learn to see what we are looking at. And "Read the directions!"✌️