General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain Drive Wallett..Who has one ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 AM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chain Drive Wallett..Who has one ?

My brother was 10 years older than I was and when I was a probably 12 or 13 he ran the family business which was tool and die welding. My brother used to belong to the Jokers MC so needless to say back in the late 70's and such bikers were always hanging around the shop getting stuff welded on or for their bikes.

One of his friends a tall lanky guy with long hair and wild beard that came down to the bottom of his rib cage had a bikers wallet but he was tall in the torso and near sighted. The chain was to short for him, so my brother welded a chunk of dog leash chain onto the wallets chain to lengthen it for him. The guy rode an old HD with a chain drive and it was a chopper, everthing that wasn't needed was removed from the bike. The started to show off and went across the shops parking lot at about 25 or 30 miles per hour when that wallet with the newly extended chain came out of his pocket, swung down and was caught between the rear sproket and the chain. What resulted was him being slung off the bike one way and the bike going another, is all you saw was swinging arms and hair and beard being body slammed by a Harley. Evidently HD scooters taken exception to wallets being stuck in their chains.

Being 12 or 13 years old I thought that was about the funniest thing I ever did see. In fact, 30 years or so later I still laugh at it.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grunt

...I'm thinking of switching to velcro since my chain wallet is not cool. []
no comment on the velcro but do take a look at money clip that holds an id.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

My wallet worked its way loose and fell out years ago. Lucky for me my partner saw it. Since then, I wear one on long trips.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

DAMN, I guess I'm a poser. Better than being a Poseur tho.

Lost my wallet riding through NYC back in '79. My riding wallet has been chain ever since. I just tuck the chain in my pocket with the wallet.
Same here. Only own one wallet at a time, and they tend to last a decade or so.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
mmartin
Intermediate

none for me, but I think I better get my wife a chain drive cell phone. Took her for a ride yesterday, and she lost her phone. Then we get home and my daugher is searching the house for her cell phone, women!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

I've had a chain wallet since forever it seems (at least 25 years). At first, I used to only wear it when I rode my bikes. But swapping out wallets every time I rode quickly became a giant pain in the ***. Nowadays, I wear a chain wallet exclusively. If the chain isn't appropriate for whatever reason (work, meetings, clients), I simply remove it for that period of time.

Funny story on the chain wallet thing. Some 10+ years ago, my brother and I were walking down Bourbon Street during the height of Nawlin's Mardi Gras. Well, as anyone who has been to the Big Easy knows, Mardi Gras timeis notorious for pick pockets, etc. Sure enough, we're shoulder to shoulder in the crowd trying to make our way down the lane when some idiot tries to take my brothers wallet; his CHAINED wallet. Yes, a fight ensued, the police got involved, and both my brother and I enjoyed a Hurricane and a cigar over at Pat O'Briens later that same evening.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:35 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think of it this way more chrome....

Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 PM
NEWBOY
6th Gear

WELL I DO NOT HAVE A BIKE YET. SO I WILL BE CHAINING MINE TO A HARLEY SHOP SOON

Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

always liked them. don't care what others think. was gonna pick one up a new onethis weekend at a stealer event. wasn't on sale/discount and a little to much of a markup. sooooo have to wait for a freakin sale.[:'(]

Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 808 Posts

Not only do I have a chain wallet, it's a HARLEY branded one, with the Bar and Shield logo stamped into the leather!! And I LIKE it... a LOT!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Chain Drive Wallett..Who has one ?