General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocket Broadsides/knocks Over Minivan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rocket Broadsides/knocks Over Minivan!

Had a business meeting the other day. We talked about accountability. It seems that too many people are just not being accountable for their actions. In this case, he is guilty of reckless driving, reckless behavior, recklessness. Period. I wouldn't wish him death but, he is responsible for his actions. He's 23 years old, not 13. Hard fact of life. He undoubtedly will have learned his lesson in life from this experience. Doubt that he will forget it.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Roses
You make some very valid points. However,you are looking at it from a rational and logical perspective. The "criminal" mind rarely takes into account the consequences of their actions. They are omnipotent and egocentric. They rarely blame their own actions for the predicament they find themselves in. They do not see themselves as learning a lesson or being punishedfor a wrong. They deny their own responsibility and see their plight as the end result of someone else's actions. If the threat of punishment worked for these types of people, OUR PRISONS WOULD BE EMPTY. Our only hope is to lock them away from society for a while and enjoy the relative calm that their absence from society brings.
I understand what you mean but I wasn't talking about the common criminal,but I was talking about you, me, our neighbors, ourco-workers and their young adult children. These everyday folks represent a HUGE part of the DUI and dangerous driving problem. Consequences DO matter to these people and a well advertised increase in penalties would make a much higher percentage of people think twice (even stupid teens).

It's all about odds and the odds are that you will get away with it because you won't get ina serious wreck. There's a higher probability that you will get caught, but it won't alter your life in a long-term way, maybe a little embarrassing and inconvenient but no big deal. I have an acquaintance, a young woman who killed a small child while DUI (first time violator) and she'sin jail for at least 10 years. Her young daughter will have graduated by the time she gets out. Is that punishment fair, sure it is, she did something absolutely horriblebut I don't see how it is fair for someone equally impairedthat got caught BEFORE they killed someoneto get a mereslap on the wrist. The crime was getting behind the wheel. We are sending the OPPOSITE message because we are telling them that your punishment is largely about "skill" or "luck". As long as you don't kill someone, everything is good. "Well, heck I may back into a car in the parking lot but I'm not going to KILL someone, I'll even drive slow. In fact . . . one more round before I hit the road."

Unless you know someone like her, the consequences aren't nearly REAL enough. We probably ALLhave multiple acquaintanceswho have had DUIs. For anything to be a deterrent, you have to make it seem REAL to people. The girl I mentioned probably knew someone that got a first time DUI and knew it would suck, but wasn't going to ruin her life. People just WILL NOT believe it is their night to die or kill someone, the odds are just too low. If she knew of someone that lost their job and had to find a job within walking distance for years and maybe even served a month in jail on aFIRST TIME offense it would make a difference in many cases. It isn't going to eliminate it, but it would cut down on the numbers. I realize that when they are drunk, their judgment isn't so good but more people would plan ahead and even drunk people can think a *little*. Also, as a friend, how much more likely are you to intervene and grab the keys?

Doesn't it just seem absolutely stupid that more people than not have friends or family that were killed or had life altering injuries due to drunk drivers and we just won't do a REAL crack down??? I just put the sport bikers in much the same category. If they are so stupid and selfish that they will take risks with others' lives, then they need a different deterrent. One that is much more likely to happen and one that will suck for THEM in a big way even if they are "lucky" and don't kill anyone.

Kevin

Old 02-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Hydraboss
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kpreese, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that a first time DUI should actually mean something if you get caught? Wouldn't that be nice. Let's call it what it is....attempted murder. And if you're caught, you get charged as such.

I'm all for it.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pardner, I get your point. Financial consequences definately work where I am involved. I quit smoking when cigarettes got to $1.25 a pack. I was too cheap to risk cancer. By the way, your email is hidden so I will say it here.

I have been a Seminole fan since 1967 and many of my friends disowned me for this but I was pulling for you guys all they way in the national championship. I wanted badly for some SEC team to shut those sportscasters up about those paper tiger buckeyes. Anybody can go undefeated when they play a bunch of nothings.

Also I have a niece that lives in land o' lakes FL.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Roses
I have been a Seminole fan since 1967 and many of my friends disowned me for this but I was pulling for you guys all they way in the national championship. I wanted badly for some SEC team to shut those sportscasters up about those paper tiger buckeyes. Anybody can go undefeated when they play a bunch of nothings.

Also I have a niece that lives in land o' lakes FL.
I'm the same way. I don't *hate* the 'noles and pull for them quite often depending on their opponent. I like for the Florida teams to do well. I'll can't believe I'm going to say this, but I've even pulled for Miami before . . . shhhhh.

I actually went to the Nat Champ game. It was AMAZING!
Kevin

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jambo

I never thought a bike was heavy enough to do that,What a Jack-***
E=mc squared baby. You should see what a projectile (50cal) weighing less than 700 grains can do if you push it fast enough!