General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Skills and Tactics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Give it a try. Set out a couple of cones 60 feet apart. Approach at 30mph without covering the clutch or either brake. Use the first cone as your cue to brake and do so while your head and eyes are straight ahead and the second orange cone at the 60' mark in the bottom of your cone of vision. Measure the distance from the cone to the front tire.

Repeat the exercise but at the moment you brake look down at a spot short of the cone at the 60' mark (head up, eyes looking down with the central cone of vision focused on the spot). In just about every case you will find stopping distances to be shorter. A bonus is that with your central vision focused in front, you can clearly see any oil, gravel, debris, stutter bumps (that could engauge ABS) or anything else that might compromise maximum braking that could otherwise be steered (slightly) around. You can still see the cone but you are not focused on it, much like you would want to do if you were trying not to rear end a car. I think we agree that you don't want to look at the car (or whatever else you don't want to hit).

When I started this thread I knew a couple things. I knew there are some skilled riders here because you can sometimes tell by what people type. I also knew that we wouldn't all agree as to what constitutes skilled riding but that's ok because I don't know what I don't know. ANY discourse between like minded riders who strive to totally master the connection between man and machine is great in my opinion; whether we agree or not;-)
After reading this, I kind of feel we're ultimately reaching the same goal, just with a variation in techniques. I see both working, depending on the individuals comfort level. As I teach MSF BRC courses, we emphasize keeping the head/eyes up. Either way, we both agree to avoid your target fixation, that's for sure.

Cheers.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of us on Tri Glides can ride in a stagger formation, some of the larger Trikes can't. Many of us started out on 2 wheels and were basically forced to 3 wheels because of medical issues. If you aren't sure ask us. I don't mind people riding up next to me if they need to. I know show Trike people who don't want anyone near their space. Most of us just wanted to be treated like we were still on 2 wheels!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zeus33
When you ride with dope smokers never follow them. They tend to forget things like doing up their helmet strap. When they realize it they might stand on both brakes and make an emergency stop in the middle of the highway to do it up. If you're not watching you'll rear end them, they don't check their mirrors, too stoopid. I know this, I was unfortunate enough to ride with a doper in the past. Best advice is to ride straight, and avoid the dopers and drinkers.
Was I speeding, Occifer? Oh, 10 mph? Really, Dude?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
Good advice, but you've got it backwards. Don't want to confuse anyone. When swerving, avoiding, evading, etc. remember push right, go right. Push left, go left.
I was hoping someone was going to correct him.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

I usually try to wear my HD day glow jacket/vest or a safety vest from work. Also, I run Thunder Headers and have noticed that cagers are a lot more aware that I am near them and or that im comimg up to pass them. And I always pretend that everyone can see me but that they are ALL trying to kill me.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM
SixSpeed
Intermediate

Don't lock your elbows (depends on your bars as to whether it's even possible or not). If you hit a bump the shock can move your body and cause you to swerve unintentionally.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Xube
Was I speeding, Occifer? Oh, 10 mph? Really, Dude?
Yea. Give the impared drivers lots of space so they don't take you out with them.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by SixSpeed
Don't lock your elbows (depends on your bars as to whether it's even possible or not). If you hit a bump the shock can move your body and cause you to swerve unintentionally.
Agreed! Same thing applies just about all the time, especially during emergency braking. It also helps you to be smoother on the controls, brake, throttle and clutch.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM
swampfox_csa
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 10 Posts

When approaching the pumps, watch for gas spills from previous people overfilling their rides (pretty much always a cage). Spilled gas is slippery as hell. Last year I read an article about a rider going down as he rode into a gas station. The sparks from his bike hitting the ground ignited the gas and he was badly burned.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Never tail-gate a livestock trailer.... even an empty one might have "stuff" coming out

Never "trust" some passive devise to save your butt.
I'm fine with what ever YOU do to be seen/heard... but that doesn't mean the cager (or other rider) is playing attention
Loud Pipes
Modulating headlights/tail lights
Hi- Viz
etc so on and so forth... are all "fine" if you believe they work.... but talk to ANY EMT/LEO/Fireman.... and they will tell you about folks that do not see the flashing lights, or hear the siren....
Far too many drivers simply do not pay attention to anything other than themselves...

The only "safety device" you have....... is YOU....

Quick Reply: Riding Skills and Tactics Thread