General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Skills and Tactics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Marty33
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

As you approach intersections or cross streets, turn on your high beams or flick them on and off. Practice maximum braking quick stops a couple of times a month. Don't put your right foot down in the middle of the greasy lane. Stay in gear at stop lights, and assume that every car that is anywhere near you is going to do something stupid to kill you. That mindset has kept me safe for 25 years on two wheels.

And finally, as Harry Callahan said, " A man has got to know his limitations".

Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

When slowing down (with brakes or compression) in traffic blink the brake lights several times, let them know your slowing down

Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

"My wife and I, we like to ride where there's not much traffic."

Evel Knievel

Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM
KSdirtdogg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you've read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, read Maximum Control: Mastering Your Heavyweight Bike by Pat Hahn. They are different enough to justify reading both IMO. After reading each, put the techniques in motion by practicing chapter by chapter. Reading-only just doesn't do it, not for me anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always be looking through the turn as far as you can,the bike seems to just naturally lean through it.Learn how to use the rear brake effectively to make quick U-turns. If someone really pisses you off in traffic,calm the frack down before you do something nutty. Stay absolutely away from big trucks. If you suddenly find yourself about to hit a bad pothole you didnt see cause of cars in front of you,get your weight off the seat and onto the pegs.

This may just be the best thread ever on this forum. Sure beats"Where do you put your gas cap while filling up?"

Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Try to keep the rubber side down!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty33
As you approach intersections or cross streets, turn on your high beams or flick them on and off.
Do not do this.

Imagine you're in your cage. You are driving along and see someone wanting to merge into your lane and you desire to let them do so, how would you signal that? ... You'd flash your lights.

However, a commonly accepted technique: leave your brights on during the day.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KSdirtdogg
After you've read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, read Maximum Control: Mastering Your Heavyweight Bike by Pat Hahn. They are different enough to justify reading both IMO. After reading each, put the techniques in motion by practicing chapter by chapter. Reading-only just doesn't do it, not for me anyway.
Yep, both books definitely worthwhile. But only if you put it to practice!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
Do not do this.

Imagine you're in your cage. You are driving along and see someone wanting to merge into your lane and you desire to let them do so, how would you signal that? ... You'd flash your lights.

I was thinking the same thing.
Not advice someone who has 25 years experience would give.
TROLL?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty33
As you approach intersections or cross streets, turn on your high beams or flick them on and off. Practice maximum braking quick stops a couple of times a month. Don't put your right foot down in the middle of the greasy lane. Stay in gear at stop lights, and assume that every car that is anywhere near you is going to do something stupid to kill you. That mindset has kept me safe for 25 years on two wheels.

And finally, as Harry Callahan said, " A man has got to know his limitations".
Originally Posted by _Gir_
Do not do this.

I will use both of these techniques. Like most of the advice on here, it is situational and requires judgement.

I have flashed my lights at a car, waiting to turn left, in the opposing lane of a 2 lane highway, if I feel they are not seeing me. Might do it on a multilane road too if there are no cars in adjacent lanes.

I have flashed my lights at a car to pull in front of me. Mostly when the driver in the adjacent lane is not an attentive driver and I have watched him get in a situation where he needs to get in my lane to get out of a mess. Many people don't understand why you are flashing your lights. Back in the day truck drivers knew it meant lane is clear to pull into, but I wonder how many truck drivers either don't know it, or are wondering if you know it, because many won't change lanes when I flash them.

Quick Reply: Riding Skills and Tactics Thread