General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Skills and Tactics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Dogs really, really hate motorcycles. They will go nuts and bark at me even when they are in a car in an opposing lane and I am going 50. Even when dogs are on a leash, they will try to come after you.
I'm sure it's just you!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
TheRooster
Road Master

Do not stay in one position. Move around occasionally, as the eye is drawn to movement.

Many people these days have inattentional blindness. Assume the other guy is a dumbass with his or her head so far up their rectum they couldn't see the light of day on the sun.

Also, I never ride with traffic. I ride faster. Less time for people to get used to you being there and running you over.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

When you ride with dope smokers never follow them. They tend to forget things like doing up their helmet strap. When they realize it they might stand on both brakes and make an emergency stop in the middle of the highway to do it up. If you're not watching you'll rear end them, they don't check their mirrors, too stoopid. I know this, I was unfortunate enough to ride with a doper in the past. Best advice is to ride straight, and avoid the dopers and drinkers.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
BigMESA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thephoenix612
i highly recommend the book "proficient motorcycling" by david hough, covers all this and more. he even breaks down the why and how of stuff. i've let veteran riders borrow it and bring it back saying its the goods.
+1 on this book. It was a good read, especially for the novice.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM
MainelyScott
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a car looks like its ready to pull out in front of me, I've found that swaying the bike a little will attract their attention. Did it one time and saw the guy jamb on his brakes to stop. I know that he didn't see me until I swayed the bike.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here in deer country a good friend of mine gave me some advice:

Rule of 3...when you see a deer always be on the lookout for 2 or more following him/her. Saved my *** a few times!

Rax

Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM
georgepink
Advanced

Awesome post. If it saves one life it's worth it. Thanks to the op. my suggestion, keep these in your daily practice, stay vigilant. We have lost too many already.

I second the posts about varying speeds and direction. Swerve a little here and there, speed up, slow down, think.

It does seem to work.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Something I do is if I am passing someone I keep an eye on their tail lights so that if they decide to change lanes into you you have some warning. This obviously doesn't help if some dipsh*t doesn't use there signals but that's why I usually don't pass unless I have an out like an empty lane or shoulder next to me. This has saved my a** a couple times. Also, spend as little time as possible next to trucks as possible. They tend to sway when it is windy and also have blow outs quite often.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

When passing a big truck on the highway that's in the middle lane do not get back into the middle lane in front of it until you are sure nothing from the right lane will also get in front of the truck and side swipe you.

White lines and sewer caps are slippery when wet. Do not put your feet down on them, stop slightly before or after a white line to keep your feet on the pavement.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM
mike lhc
Tourer

Check to see if your brake light works before you leave on your ride.

Quick Reply: Riding Skills and Tactics Thread