General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Skills and Tactics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

When riding the curves, especially one after another, how you release the brakes is just as important as how you apply them. Let's start with how you apply the brakes. When you apply the front or rear brake you transfer weight forward to the front. Simple physics, huh? That's why the rear wheels on cars, motorcycles or even bicycles will skid first in aggressive stops; the rear of the vehicle is getting light.

Essentially, what you're doing is changing the weight bias by putting more weight on the front tire contact patch and less weight on the rear tire contact patch. Because of this, the front contact patch becomes more effective because it has more weight placed upon it. UNLESS. Unless you grab a huge handful of front brake and make the weight transfer too quickly and overload the friction coefficient of the front contact patch. By applying the front and rear brakes hard without stomping the pedal or trying to pull the lever back to the bars during the initial application you give the front contact patch time to have the weight transferred to it and become able to bear the hard braking without skidding.

Do I mean that you should lollygag about during hard/emergency braking? NO. Be firm and immediate but make the application as a progressively hard thing. If you do find yourself in a situation where you've applied the brakes so hard that the front is skidding, release and reapply. (This does not apply if you have ABS) A skidding front wheel will put you down pretty quickly. The exact opposite is true with the rear wheel. If you have a skidding rear wheel (as is usually the case in the "I had to lay er' down stories"; stay on the rear brake. If you release the rear brake after the rear wheel has come off center from the front (usually starts to come around on the low side of the road crown) and you release the rear brake, the rear wheel will immediately spin back up to speed and snap itself inline with the front, quite possibly pitching the rider over the high side. Because of this, it's important to know that the front brake is more effective than the rear and that you should be accomplished at knowing what the wheels are doing under you (during braking) so you effectively stop in the shortest distance on both wheels.

Now, when riding curves and you've applied the brakes PRIOR to entering the curve and your entry speed is to your liking; don't just let the front brake lever flop out when you're done with it. Doing that will change the weight bias rapidly to the rear and make the front lighter. Making the front lighter, that rapidly, can cause a loss of front contact patch during the counter steering process during the curve. That loss of front contact patch can cause the front wheel to wash out from under the bike. Depending on how hard the brake application was, and how much weight was transferred forward, a quick release of the front brake will result in a nearly consummate weight transfer to the rear contact patch. This can also be complimented by an increase in throttle. So release the brake smoothly, just as you applied them. The whole idea here is to use the brakes in the most effective manner while insuring weight bias is transferred progressively.

This may or may not make sense. I've only had one cup of coffee and I banged it out in a couple minutes.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the idiot pulls out in front of you causing you to slow down from 60 to 30mph and then slowly "speeds" up to 45 think happy thoughts don't ride ANGRY.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:44 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
Not just tail gate. When one is headed in the opposite direction approaching you move to the right side of your lane. City folk have no idea concerning the potential volume and horizontal movement associated with Bovine and Equine solid and liquid waste elimination.
I had the smell of PIG s#$T on a bike I had that lasted for 2 years. The chicken and turkey haulers will leave you fathered and stinky.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
City folk have no idea concerning the potential volume and horizontal movement associated with Bovine and Equine solid and liquid waste elimination.
lol...so true, and so well said.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's been said but is worth repeating, don't rely on mirrors when turning or switching lanes, do the "over the head check", such that you have to turn you head to check the blind spot. This has saved me many times from some ******* creeping up out of nowhere in my blind spot.

When riding out west where the speed limits are often 75 mph and traffic moves at 85, hang the hell on tight when a tractor trailer comes at you from the opposite direction! Heck, even at 45 mph the wind gust can blow you off.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Never assume that a cars blinkers are telling you the direction they are actually going and try to go around them.
Had a car in my neighborhood turn on their right turn signal at a stop sign.
The right turn signal must have somehow stayed on.
As they slowed to a driveway I thought they were turning right into they immediately turned left just as i was going around them.

Only other thing I can think of is at a stop sign/light don't pull right up behind the car in front of you. Give yourself some room to go around or up beside them if the car behind you doesn't seem to be slowing.
Had a car hit me from behind once at a light. I saw them coming... Had no where to go!
Luckily they weren't going to fast, they just said the sun was blinding them and couldn't see... Ha so just keep going even though you can't see I guess!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paniolo
That rear brake is for slow speed manuevers, tight full lock turns, figure 8s, full locked u-turn from a standing stop, or working through crawling slow and go traffic. Basically anytime the bike is moving slow, you are working the bars, the bike is leaned over or dipping, and you are in the friction zone. If you try and do any of those with the front brake you will be picking up the bike a lot.

For straight line stopping, with the bike upright, and the handlebars straight, the front, AND REAR brake in combination is what you want.

One thing you can do to help with that is practice. Ride the bike in tight circles, leaned over using rear brake,and clutch and throttle for control, then come out, and with the bike upright and the bars straight, use BOTH brakes to stop. Do this to the left and then the right till you are comfortable.

Then set up 7-10 cones 14' feet apart and start weaving and dipping the bike back and forth using rear brake only. When you come out of the weave, go upright and stop using both brakes. Then shrink it down to 13' and then 12'.

The practice and repetitions will build muscle memory so that out on the street you will transition from rear brake for slow speed in tight quarters, to both brakes at speed with the bike upright.

No need to give up the rear brake, just understand the reason for the different applications and use them accordingly. And the bigger and heavier the bike is, the more you will need rear brake for slow speed balance and control.
Good reply Paniolo. I was contemplating the same type of response, but you nailed it.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, paniolo nailed it, rear brake def stabilizes the bike in slow manuevers , well said. A lot of good advise from all posts.
Not sure if anyone posted this suggestion but never pull up to close to the vehicle in front of you,always leave enough room for escape and watch the cars coming up behind the car behind you. Be safe