General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Skills and Tactics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

When you notice someone signalling for a left-turn ahead (or even just slowing like they might be preparing for a turn)…

…. look not only at them, but scan to see where they might be turning into.

Having done that, decide whether you will arrive at the location where they will turn:
- before they turn
- at the same time they turn, or
- after they turn.

IF it looks like you're going to be arriving at the location where they will turn in front of you at the same moment they do, consider adjusting your speed, so that you will either
- pass the location after they turn
- pass it before they turn

The goal is to NOT be at that location at the moment it looks like they would be _making_ the turn.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you see a deer cross in front of you, look for other deer following the leader. The followers are very determined to cross the road to stay with their buddies.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Learn to maneuver in close quarters, make turns in a narrow alley way, tight parking lot, or driveway.

The world is not flat, learn to ride and manuever steep hills and inclines. Be able to go from a standing stop, facing up or down the incline, and make a nice tight u-turn. It never ceases to amaze me the number of riders who will go two blocks out of their way to avoid stopping, starting or turning on a steep incline. Try and get to where you can make full lock circles and full lock figure 8s on an incline.

Learn to ride in dirt, grass, gravel and other loose surfaces. Get used to the feeling of having that bike move and shift under you. Riding the loose stuff will only make you a better rider on hard surfaces.

And practice these things till they are second nature.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Learn to maneuver in close quarters, make turns in a narrow alley way, tight parking lot, or driveway.

The world is not flat, learn to ride and manuever steep hills and inclines. Be able to go from a standing stop, facing up or down the incline, and make a nice tight u-turn. It never ceases to amaze me the number of riders who will go two blocks out of their way to avoid stopping, starting or turning on a steep incline. Try and get to where you can make full lock circles and full lock figure 8s on an incline.

Learn to ride in dirt, grass, gravel and other loose surfaces. Get used to the feeling of having that bike move and shift under you. Riding the loose stuff will only make you a better rider on hard surfaces.

And practice these things till they are second nature.
Toughest thing I've ever done: sitting at a steep, steep up grade to turn left on to a road with a blind spot hill to the right, so I have to make a tight left turn, no dicking around because of fast traffic flying over the hill.... With my wife on the back. Took every thing I had.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dotn ride neked, the buffetting will wreak havoc on your manly bits.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM
mesquite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agressive cages. Heard a saying once...a yellow light means 2 cars can get through it...a red light means just 1. So, when I see a light turn yellow...I intend to stop. Be aware that the cage behind you may assume you're going to try to get through the light and he may be thinking that he will also try to beat the red light. The thought here is to check your rear view mirror...determine if the cage looks like he intends to get through the intersection before the red light...prepare to avoid getting rear ended.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

When you set off for a ride be ready. Tighten your helmet, zip up your jacket including the zippers at the wrist, be wearing the right glasses (night or day time ones) because it's damn annoying to be on the highway blown up like a Michelin man when air is blowing up your sleeves and scarves are flapping in your face or your helmet is jiggling about because the strap is not quite tight enough. Oh and make sure your saddlebags are properly closed.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PRACTICE panic stopping before you need to. When i was up north, part of my post winter shakedown was in a parking lot "reacquainting" myself with my bike. Now, I still practice panic stopping even though there is no winter.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You don't need to put your bike in first unless you come to complete dead stop. I see guys slow down at corners or rolling into intersections and hear them click down to the tell tail gear whine of first.

The bike will pull just fine in second from a slow speed. Then you don't have to switch again immediately if you've down shifted to first.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
PRACTICE panic stopping before you need to. When i was up north, part of my post winter shakedown was in a parking lot "reacquainting" myself with my bike. Now, I still practice panic stopping even though there is no winter.
Excellet suggestion. Good threshold combination braking should be practiced regularly. Just to keep the skills up.

Quick Reply: Riding Skills and Tactics Thread