General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe a little "thanks" when asking for modification info

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013 | 10:51 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Please and thank you cost nothing to say and make a whole lot of difference.

I'm with the ones that blame the parents.

Old 05-08-2013 | 10:53 AM
DM1975
Road Captain

Some of my friends are flat out amazed that my kids say please, thank you, yes sir/ma'am. Surprises me sometimes because I think my kids are kinda bratty, but some other kids just take the cake. Every generation bitches about how bad the next one is. I remember hearing that when I was a kid how bad my generation was, now it is my generation bitching about how bad the next is and how good and well raised they were.

The Internet does bring a lot of anonymity though, so lots of folks seem to either forget their manners or tend to run their mouth where in real life they wouldn't. I do think saying thank you is something that just should be "done"... It's simple and easy and goes a long way.

Old 05-08-2013 | 11:19 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thephoenix612
and a rap up side the head when i forgot. i was a slow learner so lots of raps.
Same with me, growing up. A smack was considered a reminder. However, raising my own kids, I found that they learned a lot better through example - basically, you learn what you live. Me always saying Please & Thank You had a more lasting affect. So, there was very little need for "reminders".

I can't help but feel that ever since "corporal punishment" started being frowned upon, some parents felt like they had no way to discipline their kids. It was easier to just smack 'em, than it was to set a good example yourself. Raising kids correctly can be hard work. Lazy parents raise undisciplined kids and then wonder why they turned out that way.

Old 05-08-2013 | 11:41 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I like getting thanked, but don't really need it. I helped on a thread this week. OP said "That's the info I needed. What a great forum!"

Not technically a Thank you. But it is a sincere expression of gratitude. And it felt nice to be appreciated. Some OP's probably underestimate how much work can go into an answer.
Good thread, SoCal. Thanks for posting.

Old 05-08-2013 | 12:08 PM
scoriden
Tourer

I don’t post much being somewhat of a newb. I do lurk every day and have learned a tremendous amount of stuff here. I always search my question first and usually find what I need without asking. So far I have done all my own wrenching, going as deep as a belt change with inner and outer primary coming off. Never would have attempted much of what I have done without the info gleaned here. I am very gratfull for what is here already and when I do ask I also say thank you.

It is a generational thing. The other day I had a young kid in a convenience store say “who the eff are you, Mr. Manners?” just because I said please and then thank you. After I told him what a piece of **** he was for being so clueless as to basic manners I just shook my head and realized we are all screwed. The American Dream is being stolen right out from under us and the absolute proof is the lack of understanding of some of the basics such as freedom, democracy, capitalism, work ethic and the point of this thread, manners!

Thanks for reading my diatribe and SoCalSoftailSlim, you are spot on!

Old 05-08-2013 | 12:12 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

To quote PeeWee Herman: "It's not like I was expecting anything in return, but then I didn't get anything in return!"

If I've failed to thank anyone for advice I apologize. More than likely, I forgot where I asked it and wandered off to another forum somewhere.

Old 05-08-2013 | 12:18 PM
TALLY3
Tourer

Just in case I miss someone THanks for all the great info I have got on the HD Fourm.

Old 05-08-2013 | 12:40 PM
thephoenix612
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Same with me, growing up. A smack was considered a reminder. However, raising my own kids, I found that they learned a lot better through example - basically, you learn what you live. Me always saying Please & Thank You had a more lasting affect. So, there was very little need for "reminders".

I can't help but feel that ever since "corporal punishment" started being frowned upon, some parents felt like they had no way to discipline their kids. It was easier to just smack 'em, than it was to set a good example yourself. Raising kids correctly can be hard work. Lazy parents raise undisciplined kids and then wonder why they turned out that way.
i say sir and ma'am to my kids, leading by example. besides, its just esier to say it to everyone so it becomes habit.

these days if you so much as touch a child be prepared for a visit from child services. the irony is that when you ask what are your options when progressive discipline has been exhausted they just shrug their shoulders. and you wonder why kids are out of control?!? kids are way sharper than we give them credit for and they do talk. they know exactly what they can get away with. am i saying to beat your kids? hell no! but some times an attention getter is the call of the day.

just as big of a problem is "lazy parents". you can not simply drop your kid in front of a tv or video game and expect good results. thats just unrealistic. i've always looked at my job as more teacher/guide than parent. i arm them with truth and knowledge and hope they have paid attention.

Old 05-08-2013 | 01:09 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

I was brought up in a fairly dysfunctional home, but us kids did learn to be courteous, respectful and take responsibility for our actions.

Something I don't see much of with todays younger crowd.

I really appreciate those who help answer questions and make suggestions and I try and remember to say thanks.

I've gotten a lot of help from this forum and am grateful.

Al

Old 05-08-2013 | 02:02 PM
BornAgainWheels
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Not gonna mention any names. Almost everyone throws a simple "thanks" out when they message for info on a mod they want to make that I have happened to do.

But recently, a few folks message very blankly "Was this xyx?" "How did you do abc?" No thanks or expression of gratitude for my time, before, or after, I answer.

That's what I do when I ask someone for info. Seems like an easy thing to do.

Now, some of you guys can get all self-righteous about how I'm a whiner and I just shouldn't answer, etc. I'll even give you the icons to do it. haha.

But I still think a little gratitude among bikers is a small thing to ask, even in the virtual mundo.
Get a dog if u want gratitude..