General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If it was your family member???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Would sell it straight up.......Would not want to sit where my dad died every time i rode it.......it would make me think of my dad......but not in a good way, his last moments........no thank you

Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
georgepink
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, so sorry for your loss. I think you'll find everyone has a little different of an idea on this, but I say what better way to honor him than carry on with him right there every time you ride.

Sorry again, for your loss, and thanks for sharing your story.

I think I've told this before, but my dad got me into riding. Back in the day he was an Indian guy, then bought his share of rice burners, which is what I rode both dirt and road. Anyway, my first Harley came shortly after his death, my mom, having not been on a bike in 30 years or more, wanted a ride on it to the cemetery to show my dad. It was a nice moment for my mom and me, and now that she's gone too, another good memory to keep forever.

Last thing ill leave you with, is there's really no right or wrong answer from us. You know your dad and how he would feel. God bless.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Hd-bagger
If you and one of your immediate family members were very close Harley fans and he was killed in a bike crash, what would you do with the bike. Would you restore in his memory or send it to the junk yard??
My best friend killed himself on a cherry 65 panhead over 10 yrs ago . Widow had the bike in a shop out of state for yrs and all they did was buy a bunch of repo Custom Chrome crap and some odd shiney stuff for it , completely missing the bent frame & swingarm . Long story short if found it's way into my garage , I'm going through it and putting it back the way she was a little at a time for the widow . Bike may find it's way to me permanently someday who knows , the owner and I have some history too .

Old 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sauceman
I would part it out for free, kinda like organ donation.
Dude, that's cold...and funny!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hd-bagger
Thanks, I've been in the motorcycle game with my dad for about 17 years. We've ridden thousands of miles side by side. He was killed in a crash late last year on his 12 street glide. I knew he wouldn't want his pride and joy in a scrap yard and neither did my mom. Me and my wife took our savings and bought the bike. There was a lot owed on it but we got it. We dumped the rest in it and it's back to better than when he crashed.
I've gotten some bad looks and some great thanks for fixing it. I just wanted some opinions!! It's kinda like he's still riding with me when I'm on it. The money issue is not important because it's got a forever home now!!!
Sorry to hear of your loss Man.

Screw those with the bad looks. Good on you for keeping your Dad's pride and joy rubber down on the street. The scrap heap ain't no place for something like that. I betcha he's looking down on you with a SEG over what you've accomplished.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Account Retired
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My old man picked up a 72 Shovelhead his best friend was killed on. Not only was his best friend killed on it, the guy that owned it before him was killed on it. We rebuilt it, named it "The Jynx" and rode the hell out of it. Still in his garage in Indianapolis.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM
usmcgunner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd restore it. If it were me that was killed I know my youngest son (14 years old) would honor me by doing the same and ride it when the time came. His Mom might not approve but.....

Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if i were to die in a motorcycle accident, i would hope that nobody would ever fix that bike up and ride it again. part it out, sell it for scrap, but do not repair it and let any one else ride it...too much bad karma.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Hd-bagger
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan conner
if i were to die in a motorcycle accident, i would hope that nobody would ever fix that bike up and ride it again. part it out, sell it for scrap, but do not repair it and let any one else ride it...too much bad karma.
Thanks for your comment bro! I guess it's to each his own on this topic. I think it's great that most of you would fix the bike and carry on the legacy. When Harley has been a big part of your family, I guess it always will be.

Dan I would also like to remind you that there's no such thing as "karma" or anything of the nature. God sent His Son to die and give you the choice to choose your own path. Once you choose and accept His path for you, He is the only guide you will need!! Just because something bad happened on an object doesn't mean it will happen again. It's cool though to see people reminded of my dad because they see his bike like it was. It will always be something that can be handed down now and stay where it belongs, in our family.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM
bagger90
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what kind of bike and how bad the damage.

Quick Reply: If it was your family member???