General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:11 PM
ryan9977
|
Tourer
Default Questions about shifting?

Ok I'm a new rider and I have he basics down, I think.....I took a course at my local harley and it was really helpful.....I have one problem though in regards to shifting.....how do I get faster....yeah I know, practice but am I doing something wrong.....

When I am at a stoplight and it turns green I can't beat an old station wagon off the line.....no I don't wanna race but I also don't wanna get hit by a soccer mom with a lead foot.....can someone please explain in detail how they shift.....when you are in first and release the clutch and give it gas, obviously u start moving....when you up shift to second, do you totally let off the throttle, shift and then give it gas?.....are you continuously giving it gas?....am I missing something......

I know everyone will talk about feeling your bike and knowing when to shift but if u never did it now do u feel it?.....I feel like I know when to shift....I have experienced lugging and have pretty much stopped doing that....I just can't get up to speed fats enough and feel like I am doing something wrong.....ryan

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:20 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member

As you pull in the clutch to shift from first gear, roll the throttle all the way back. Shift to second gear and roll the throttle up as you release the clutch - kind of one-for-one trade-off. The idea is to not waste power, which means you're working the clutch too hard. As you release the clutch and you hear/feel the engine taking the load, roll up on the throttle. You're right......it takes practice. Trust me, you'll be fine after a few hundred miles. Be patient with yourself.

Ride safe.

Last edited by pastime; 05-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2013 | 10:27 PM
BareBones
Tourer

Pastime said it best my friend. Just keep riding and it will start to make more sense. Once you get more comfortable on the bike you'll be able to safely give it the throttle necessary to beat the old station wagons and many more. Get a feel for the clutch, pay attention to when it starts to grab and roll on that throttle. With more practice you'll be able to start cranking with that right hand and you'll have all the speed you desire. Good luck to ya. Have fun, ride safe.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:27 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Maybe you just need to wind it out a little farther in each gear before shifting.

I'm not there riding with you so it's hard for me to say with any certainty, but maybe your just being a little too timid. Give it some throttle and wind it out a bit before shifting.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:29 PM
BigMESA
Tourer

Give her more gas and you'll go faster. Listen and feel the rpm's for when to shift..

And when he says roll the throttle back he means let off the gas, not scream it lol

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:46 PM
Baxter's Bagger
Cruiser

You don't mention your age or other vehicle experience.
Most of us old guys on this list grew up using manual transmissions and the shifting comes second nature. Anyone under about 30 years old has (for the most part) driven automatic transmission vehicles. Even heavy pickups and performance cars come mostly with auto's these days. Manual trannies only make up around 5% of all new vehicles.
If you don't have experience with a manual transmission the Harley will be a tough nut to crack at first. Practice and seat time are the answer. Find a parking lot and practice your starts. The HD clutch is wet and will take a LOT of abuse so don't be afraid of hurting it.
Next you need to discover the friction zone. A clutch is not a toggle switch that's on or off. The friction zone is anywhere between clutch all the way in or out. Learn to feather it and develop some touch. Slow speed maneuvers on these big bikes require a mastery of the friction zone. Taking off smoothly also requires it.
Practice and seat time are your answers.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:46 PM
ryan9977
|
Tourer

Thanks guys....I feel like when I get to third gear I start to take off pretty good.....maybe I am just staying in first and second gear too long?....anyway I'll keep practicing....hopefully it'll get better sooner rather than later....ryan

Old 05-06-2013 | 11:34 PM
ryan9977
|
Tourer

Yeah that's me in a nutshell Baxter....I've never driven anything that wasn't automatic.....the first bike I ever rode was in the course I took ....I have a sportster 1200 right now....ryan

Old 05-06-2013 | 11:49 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

You can do it the conventional way and putt putt away from the light. But if you really want a fast start here's the technique...

- Roll up to the intersection and slip the gear box into neutral.
- Turn your head 90 degrees and watch the light from the cross lane.
- When the cross lane light turns yellow pull in the clutch and click it UP into second.
- Holding the clutch in roll the throttle on all the way until the rpm hits the engine rev limiter. Keep the gas on.
- Watch your light, when it turns green you accelerate by releasing the clutch. Careful not to let it go too quick.

I won many many races on the dirt track, ice track and motocross track using that proceedure. Don't see why it wouldn't work with the hog. Personally never tried it, but I'm sure it would be impressive.

Old 05-06-2013 | 11:56 PM
jjames
Tourer

The sportster power band is up higher than the big twins. At what speed are you shifting from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, etc? Lugging is obvious down low, but you may still be shifting right before you hit the good power and don't notice it so much. When I had my sporty I wouldn't hit 2nd till 25mph, 3rd between 35-40 mph if I was accelerating. That's where my motor was pulling good. At first I was shifting at 15-20 then at 30, 40, and 50 mph respectively. Once I raised all those it was like I had a whole different bike and was a lot more fun to ride and could run with any big twin my buddies rode.

Quick Reply: Questions about shifting?