General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013 | 09:48 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by zeus33
You guys missed the point. Totally don't get it. Take the bus, don't forget to wear the helmet.
Well I guess you did not make your point clearly enough if we did not get it then

Last edited by fattyboyrider; 05-08-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:13 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MXerwithaBob
Here is a trick I use on my my mx bike and it works just as well on my Harley. Some of the ultra safety minded in here might balk at it but it works. I only pull the clutch with my forefinger and middle finger, when the lever hits your other two fingers that are still on the grip, the clutch will be disengaged just outside of the friction zone. This technique eliminates all the time spent releasing the clutch from the grip to the friction zone, which usually feels like a considerable distance when you're pulling away from a light.
Why don't you simply adjust the clutch/cable to move the friction zone closer to the grip?

Old 05-07-2013 | 11:54 PM
sroc3
Road Captain

I'm a new rider too. I literally just learned to ride a motorcycle 1 week ago at my MSF class. I have, however, grown up driving stick shifts so I do get the concept of clutch-gas "mixing". That being said, I still had to get used to the power of my bike, compared to those provided for me at the riding school. At stoplights I try and stay in 1st all the time unless I know its a long *** light, then I go Neutral and rest my hands. The best advice I can give you is this:
- ride on local roads you KNOW for at least the first week or 2.
- NEVER jerk the throttle and get used to the incremental movements of your wrist when you twist it. This is key to finding the best balance between clutch release and the amount of throttle you need. The engine isn't in front of you, it's in between your legs. You have to learn how to "feel" it and not just hear it.
- When leaving a stoplight, throttle up first a bit then SLOWLY release the clutch till you feel the friction point, then give it a little more throttle. You'll get in after about 100 times of doing this Different drivers have different "control sensitivities" - you need to figure yours out.
- ALWAYS release the throttle when shifting UP. It creates good habits (later on you'll learn the reverse and know how to give it some throttle when doing "smooth" downshifts)
- Stay in the lower gears for now and try not to go past 3rd. Playing in this range made me understand my bike better and faster.
- Do Not get on the freeways yet. Master the local roads and streets. Go in circles around your neighborhood if need be and know every dip, turn, bump, hump and corner. This will make you a safer and more confident rider in the end.

Enjoy and ride safe!!!

Last edited by sroc3; 05-07-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2013 | 11:58 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Why don't you simply adjust the clutch/cable to move the friction zone closer to the grip?
Because pulling the clutch in with all my fingers is cumbersome and unnecessary.

Old 05-08-2013 | 12:20 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, I have one question. Who the hell looks at their speedo as they shift in lower gears? I've been riding 30 years and I have no idea what speed I'm traveling when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. I may look down from time to time when I'm at cruising speed, but that's about it.

To the OP. Do not get into the habit of looking down at your speedo as you're taking off....especially as you're crossing an intersection. Get a feel of your bike, and when you feel it's beginning to pull too much, shift....and don't be afraid to roll the throttle. Don't crack it all the way open though....that day will come once you get more comfortable. haha

You said you're keeping it in 1st and 2nd too long, but I also think you're being timid and not rolling the throttle....you're keeping it steady. By doing that it's almost like your trying to cruise in those 2 gears. The first two gears are not for steady speeds (2nd gear maybe in slow moving traffic), you accelerate through them to get you to the higher gears. You should be out of 1st gear almost immediately, and out of 2nd not much longer after that (assuming you're not in slow moving traffic). Continue to smoothly roll the throttle and believe me, you'll know when to shift.

Can you drive a stick? If so, same thing...you just know when to shift. If not, get in your car and drop it down to the lowest gear while your at a red light. When you take off and you start to feel the car pulling, pop it into the next gear, and so on. The same feel you'll have with your car, the same you'll have for your bike sometime soon. Don't go by the speed, go by the feel.

I know you're a new rider so I'm not suggesting you become overly aggressive with the throttle, but maybe just a little more aggressive. But remember to keep it smooth.

You'll get there! Good luck.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 05-08-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2013 | 01:11 AM
jjames
Tourer

You can glance at your speedo just as easily as you can glance at any other area while your paying attention to what's going on around you. Longer you ride the less you'll look at it, but it's helpful when your learning to know what it sounds like at certain speeds/rpms. I didn't have a tach either but by your speeds I agree you need to up the speed your shifting out of 1st. You can cruise in a higher gear just listen to the bike but for accelerating on a sporty you need to run the rpms up. Big twin riders tend to shift at low rpms and get into high gear sooner because they have plenty of torque down low to pull in any gear. You want to pull on your sporty run up the rpms in first and second don't hurry thru them.

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:55 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Because pulling the clutch in with all my fingers is cumbersome and unnecessary.
WTF is wrong with your hand? Or your clutch?

Old 05-08-2013 | 08:08 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
WTF is wrong with your hand? Or your clutch?
Um.......nothing...

I have to have a problem to use a two-finger clutch pull? It's a technique to decrease shift times, which was the question in the OP. It's different, not wrong.

Old 05-08-2013 | 08:59 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Um.......nothing...

I have to have a problem to use a two-finger clutch pull? It's a technique to decrease shift times, which was the question in the OP. It's different, not wrong.
I didn't say it was wrong, but it does sound a little bit... spurious. Are shift times (on a Harley, with their somewhat agricultural gearbox) reduced by that much? I don't believe it could make a noticeable difference or be less hassle than gripping the entire lever with four fingers instead of two.

Just sayin...

Old 05-08-2013 | 09:48 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
I didn't say it was wrong, but it does sound a little bit... spurious. Are shift times (on a Harley, with their somewhat agricultural gearbox) reduced by that much? I don't believe it could make a noticeable difference or be less hassle than gripping the entire lever with four fingers instead of two.

Just sayin...
I agree on the clunky gearbox. I come from a racing background, so it's just the way I shift. The OP asked how to make his shifts faster, and I responded with a technique that works well for me. Your foot can only move the shifter so fast, so the only way to make a shift faster is to reduce the amount of time the clutch is disengaged.

It's a moot point for me as I use a foot clutch on my Harley.

Quick Reply: Questions about shifting?