General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013 | 12:16 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The manual for mine says to shift at certain speeds. I like to hear the engine and when I've looked, I usually shift around 2500+ rpm for most all gears.

Old 05-07-2013 | 12:24 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
You can do it the conventional way and putt putt away from the light. But if you really want a fast start here's the technique...

- Roll up to the intersection and slip the gear box into neutral.
- Turn your head 90 degrees and watch the light from the cross lane.
- When the cross lane light turns yellow pull in the clutch and click it UP into second.
- Holding the clutch in roll the throttle on all the way until the rpm hits the engine rev limiter. Keep the gas on.
- Watch your light, when it turns green you accelerate by releasing the clutch. Careful not to let it go too quick.

I won many many races on the dirt track, ice track and motocross track using that proceedure. Don't see why it wouldn't work with the hog. Personally never tried it, but I'm sure it would be impressive.

Baaaaad advice for a learner. Number one....do not leave your bike in neutral at a stop signal....leave it in 1st. You never know when you will have to move out of the way in a hurry if someone is cruising up on your ***.
Number two....do not run your RPM's up to the limiter. Without a lot of experience, you will surely stall, or be caught off guard when you do manage to move out. That is very dangerous as the one behind you will probably run over you stall, or crash when caught off guard when you accelerate uncontrollably.

If you people out there think that zeus33 gave good advice, be aware that the OP is a Newbie, not only to riding, but to this board. He doesn't know when someone is giving valid advice or if they are trying to be a smart-***. Think about what you post.

Old 05-07-2013 | 01:01 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

awww, comon ArcticMan, he can figure out it's not a serious post. lol

Just havin some fun.

Old 05-07-2013 | 07:32 AM
dakota0712
Tourer

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Baaaaad advice for a learner. Number one....do not leave your bike in neutral at a stop signal....leave it in 1st. You never know when you will have to move out of the way in a hurry if someone is cruising up on your ***.
Number two....do not run your RPM's up to the limiter. Without a lot of experience, you will surely stall, or be caught off guard when you do manage to move out. That is very dangerous as the one behind you will probably run over you stall, or crash when caught off guard when you accelerate uncontrollably.

If you people out there think that zeus33 gave good advice, be aware that the OP is a Newbie, not only to riding, but to this board. He doesn't know when someone is giving valid advice or if they are trying to be a smart-***. Think about what you post.
Yeah what he said!!

Old 05-07-2013 | 07:40 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

It is just practice and timing. You should get better. Hopefully this slow shifting isn't distracting you from watching everything around you. Head on a swivel.

Old 05-07-2013 | 07:45 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior

I quick shift a lot , because i am lazy especially 1st to 2nd. But you should bring up the Rpms and shift . 3000 to 4000 or more . Believe me it will go twist the throttle . Carefully until you get use to Bike.

Old 05-07-2013 | 07:47 AM
B.K.
Road Master

Try to steer clear of traffic lights on hills until you really get the hang of it. Being stopped at a red light on a steep up hill can be challenging for newbies. Good luck and keep practicing.

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:07 AM
ryan9977
|
Tourer

Yeah hills are a challenge, I've been on a few unfortunately and it was definitely not the first place I'd choose to be.....as far as shifting at certain rpm's , well I don't have a tach....even if I did I'd be nervous about looking at it while riding probably anyway.....

I do keep my head on a swivel, stay in first gear etc......I am a very responsible driver normally in my car and am even more alert on my bike...it's actually made me a better driver in my car I think.....I am usually shifting into second at about 15-20....third at about 40.....fourth at around 50 and I shift into fifth at around 60.....

What is weird is a few people, some with ALOT of experience have told me that they are in high gear at around 40..... If I am in fifth at 40 I'd be lugging like crazy.....how different cold he bikes be?....one guy had a 1200 and the other guy had a deuce......one thing I noticed was if I am going like 60 or so and in fifth gear, if I start to slow down I can keep it in fifth gear at a lower speed than normal.....does that make sense?.....should I always downshift....I don't notice any lugging though at the lower speed.....ryan

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:19 AM
Mac10
Road Master

Originally Posted by ryan9977
Yeah hills are a challenge, I've been on a few unfortunately and it was definitely not the first place I'd choose to be.....as far as shifting at certain rpm's , well I don't have a tach....even if I did I'd be nervous about looking at it while riding probably anyway.....

I do keep my head on a swivel, stay in first gear etc......I am a very responsible driver normally in my car and am even more alert on my bike...it's actually made me a better driver in my car I think.....I am usually shifting into second at about 15-20....third at about 40.....fourth at around 50 and I shift into fifth at around 60.....

What is weird is a few people, some with ALOT of experience have told me that they are in high gear at around 40..... If I am in fifth at 40 I'd be lugging like crazy.....how different cold he bikes be?....one guy had a 1200 and the other guy had a deuce......one thing I noticed was if I am going like 60 or so and in fifth gear, if I start to slow down I can keep it in fifth gear at a lower speed than normal.....does that make sense?.....should I always downshift....I don't notice any lugging though at the lower speed.....ryan
You sound like your shifting at around the right speeds. Usually ill stay in 4th till around 60. Your shifting fine by just listening to your RPMs. And as you get more seat time it will all become second nature. Sometimes and we all do this, we obsess over certain aspects of riding and over think it. But you sound like your feeling your way. And if your in 5 th at a certain speed and slow down you can still accelerate back up without downshifting unless your speed drops down to low. So at 60 in 5 th and you go down to around the low 50 s you should be able to accelerate back up without lugging. But again you will live and learn if you start to lug you down shift and away you go. Just keep riding. Be safe

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:48 AM
Turbinesaint
Road Master

It sounds like you're shifting in the right places. With my Nightster I shift to 2nd around 20, 3rd 40 and so on. That's when I'm cruising around town. Sportsters like the higher RPM's and can be pushed. Get used to the throttle and how it feels to open it up. Take your time, pretty soon you'll be leaving those station wagons in the dust (do they even make station wagons anymore: Family Truckster!).

Quick Reply: Questions about shifting?