General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might buy a bike next weekend, but it's been sitting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM
deezy139
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might buy a bike next weekend, but it's been sitting.

Hello all, I've been contemplating a bike for quite some time and I finally think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Plan is to get an older Sportster to kinda cut my teeth a bit and move on after I've got some miles under my belt.

So my dad's friend back home is selling his daughter's old Sportster. Its a '94 and the model is a XLH883H. Apparently, this bike hasn't been used much, it's only got 2600 miles and it hasn't been touched in at least 2.5 years.

I'm gathering funds right now and going to check it out in about a week. Is there any possible implications stemming from sitting for that long? I'm guessing those tires, despite my dad saying they looked good, are questionable at best, would any of you trust them? I'd also be inclined to believe the fuel system is all sorts of gummed up and I'll need to do a good cleaning on that, along with all the other fluids in it. Any advice for checking out a bike that's been sitting for that long?

Also, sorry if there's a better subforum for this, I didn't see anything that was a much better fit.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

New tires absolutely, regardless of how they look. All new fluids, flush the brake lines. The fuel system will need to be cleaned out most likely, tank drained, carb cleaned ect....

What kind of price are they asking for it?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Definately put new tires on it.
There's only 2,600 miles on the bike so I'd be willing to bet the tires are original.
The tires look new but they are almost 20 years old. I would not trust them at all.
You're most likely going to need a new battery and spark plugs.
Change all the fluids. Check the brakes and fluid.
Drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it.
You'll probably have to pull the carb and go over it.

If you're not mechanically inclined, take it to an indy or a dealer and have it gone over.
If the price is right, go for it!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM
deezy139
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They started off asking $2500, but when dad went back they told him $3000. I kinda figured they originally asked $2500 expecting to get beat down to $2200 and went to asking $3000 to stay in that $2600-$2700 range. I figure that even at 3 grand its a solid buy, but I'd want to come off it if I have $500-$700 in tires, battery, and fluids to buy. What do you guys think?

The other problem is that it has a custom paint job... flowers. I'm not awfully worried about that because we have a spray booth and talented painter at work, a case of beer and two packs of smokes plus buying the paint should get that problem fixed real quick.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I am of a different opinion but if the tires are not cracked or checked I would not be afraid of them at all. Also, the first thing I would do is jumper it and get it started and ride it around a little. You should do that anyway before you change the fluids as they should be warm when you drain them. If it won't run then you will have to clean out the carb and maybe the tank. I have pulled stuff out of storage that has not run for 4 years and fired it up and rode. That was with the gas that was left in it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I think that the bike is over priced. It is 20 years old. A new one is eight grand.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

as is, in not running and working condition. $1500. and not a penny more. If she were running in good operation that price 2500 would be legit.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,273 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by deezy139
The other problem is that it has a custom paint job... flowers. I'm not awfully worried about that because we have a spray booth and talented painter at work, a case of beer and two packs of smokes plus buying the paint should get that problem fixed real quick.

Talk to your painter about the cost of the paint before you decide to pick up that deal. If there's nothing wrong with it and all you do is tires, fluids, and the usual junk plus a paint job, I'd expect to add at least $750 to the cost of the bike and that's with you doing all the work. $2,200 looks like top money to me.

carl

Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I sold my 84 Iron Head in two days with 50,000 miles on it for $3,500. That bike with 2,600 miles on the clock is new. Just my 2 cents again.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy it for $ 1700-1800...replace tires...fluids...ride it.

Quick Reply: Might buy a bike next weekend, but it's been sitting.