General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking Bags for my Sporty...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Viking Bags for my Sporty...

I finally broke down and got rid of my old throw over cheapo saddlebags and support brackets. After hearing only good stuff about Viking Bags from other HDForum Members and all my riding buddies on Facebook I decided that that was the way to go. I wanted bags I could mount myself, So, I called Bobby at Viking Bags. Bobby walked me through his selection of shock cutout saddlebags and within minutes I decided on the below pictured Shock Cutout Saddlebags which he recommended. The bags came with the locking mechanism, free mounting brackets and the instructions to mount them.

to Bobby at Viking Bags who gave me the best customer service ever!!! He said if I had any trouble to call him and we would try to figure it out together. Even though I didn't have a problem, I believe if I did, he would have gone out of his way to help me. Thank you Bobby!!!

Saddlebags arrive 05/02/2013

Rear turn signals relocated

Uh Oh, instructions LOL

Old support brackets had to go!

Per instructions, After measuring and marking where you want the bags, drill holes - A little skip and a jump mishap with the drill.

Attach the brackets

View inside the bag - stability bracket

Attach bags to bike and Viola! I love the new cleaner look. They are hard bags with a soft top. I'm really impressed with the quality of these bags.

View from above...

Shock cut out view...

Over head view...

Bike view - Love it.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, they look well made. It's also nice feature having the hard back so they don't sag over time.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

If I didn't already have my Boss Bags I would definitely get the Viking bags. The price is right.

You did a good job.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Eve. That tool bag you have on the front. Doesn't it hit the fender when you go over bumps?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by baka1969
Eve. That tool bag you have on the front. Doesn't it hit the fender when you go over bumps?
That's not a tool bag Baka. That holds my Shark Audio system LOL

Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by EveHD
That's not a tool bag Baka. That holds my Shark Audio system LOL
Nice. I would still think the same thing could apply.

I just put my tool bag there. There's about 2" of clearance. I'm hoping for the best.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by baka1969
Nice. I would still think the same thing could apply.

I just put my tool bag there. There's about 2" of clearance. I'm hoping for the best.
All my tools would never fit in that bag LOL

Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by EveHD
Hi Eve, I'd almost decided on the quarter circle Viking bags this winter, but then got an old bagger to fix up, so figure now I don't need them. I hadn't decided on how to relocate the rear turn signals, and didn't see anything that looked like what you have - what kind of mounts are those? Just in case I change my mind about the sporty - my 1200C is a keeper, even with the old EVO in the stable (ok, it ain't exactly an EVO, far from stock); two different personalities, and I like em both!

Only concern I have with the Vikings is those keylocks on top; don't know if water could run through to the inside. If it does, you could always get a gob of that removable sticky stuff for hanging pictures and cover the tops when it rains, keep it in a ziplock bag rest of the time. Wouldn't stop me from getting them, though.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by Imold
Hi Eve, I'd almost decided on the quarter circle Viking bags this winter, but then got an old bagger to fix up, so figure now I don't need them. I hadn't decided on how to relocate the rear turn signals, and didn't see anything that looked like what you have - what kind of mounts are those? Just in case I change my mind about the sporty - my 1200C is a keeper, even with the old EVO in the stable (ok, it ain't exactly an EVO, far from stock); two different personalities, and I like em both!

Only concern I have with the Vikings is those keylocks on top; don't know if water could run through to the inside. If it does, you could always get a gob of that removable sticky stuff for hanging pictures and cover the tops when it rains, keep it in a ziplock bag rest of the time. Wouldn't stop me from getting them, though.
Oldy, I never thought about it. I would wait for the first rain and see. If it does I would find a way to seal it. I'm happy I did it too.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

They look great! I'm loving my Viking Bags and glad I went with them. So easy to take on and off, too.

Quick Reply: Viking Bags for my Sporty...