General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dri-slide is garbage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I lay my bike on it's side to check the air pressure in my tires.
Also, it does makes it easier to pull the oil drain plugs. Though, I can't figure out why the oil won't drain properly.
I use my OL's turkey baster with about a six inch piece of fuel line duct taped to the end of it to suck out the oil.

Last edited by IronAss; 05-03-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I use my OL's turkey baster with about a six inch piece of fuel line duct taped to the end of it to suck out the oil.
Yeh, but depending on the oven setting, is it the correct viscosity to use on the turkey?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

hehe. This thread is funny.

BUT dri-slide is starting to get talked about on the internets. Apparently, it gums up the newer clutches and makes the hard to pull. So the OP is right. At least in that regard.

Tri-Flo is all the rage now and there's a lil tool you can use called a cable luber (sold at bike shops) to help with the job.

So stop laying your bike down and using motor oil, OP. Unless you really dig doing that. Then tip away.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
hehe. This thread is funny.

BUT dri-slide is starting to get talked about on the internets. Apparently, it gums up the newer clutches and makes the hard to pull. So the OP is right. At least in that regard.

Tri-Flo is all the rage now and there's a lil tool you can use called a cable luber (sold at bike shops) to help with the job.

So stop laying your bike down and using motor oil, OP. Unless you really dig doing that. Then tip away.

Got a pic of that little cable lube tool?

I made my own 'cause the one I've had for years won't fit a Harley clutch cable.
I use a short piece (4-5 in.) of clear hose that will barely fit over the loop at the end of the cable. Then I clamp it tight around the cable housing, hold it vertical and put 3-4 oz. of oil in the clear hose. Then I adjust my air regulator down to 3-4 psi and push the oil (same as I use in the tranny) into the cable with my air gun.
Not quite as handy as my old lube tool but it works great.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,655 Likes on 2,537 Posts

I turn my bike upside down to drain the oil. Keeps wear & tear off the drain plug.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I am surprised ppl say Dri-slide is garbage. Use it right!
I always remove the the cable from the lever and lube. Look at my ape, you will see why.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Yeh, but depending on the oven setting, is it the correct viscosity to use on the turkey?

"True Love" is great, but it would have better been captioned as "Love at first sight!"

Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
"True Love" is great, but it would have better been captioned as "Love at first sight!"
Uh, okay... whatever ...

Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
I am surprised ppl say Dri-slide is garbage. Use it right!
I always remove the the cable from the lever and lube. Look at my ape, you will see why.
You obviously didn't pay attention to this thread. If you're not flipping you bike on it's side you are wrong. The best method i have found is to haul *** into my drive way and then lock the rear brake up and try to low side it into my lawn. Just make sure the sprinklers are off or it could get messy. Large amounts of bourbon help the process.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Look at my ape end angle, even though I lay the bike all the way down to lube the cable, it doesn't work for me. Been there, done that.

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
You obviously didn't pay attention to this thread. If you're not flipping you bike on it's side you are wrong. The best method i have found is to haul *** into my drive way and then lock the rear brake up and try to low side it into my lawn. Just make sure the sprinklers are off or it could get messy. Large amounts of bourbon help the process.

Quick Reply: dri-slide is garbage!