General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ever full face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM
roblack
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First ever full face helmet

After forty years of riding I finally bought my first full face helmet this morning,cause it was 4c,I had 400km to go,and I could not believe the difference,so much warmer and quieter. I wont wear it when the weather warms up,but it sure will be nice leaving for work at 5am with a 1c temp. The worst downside is it does make you lose a bit of peripheral vision,but leaving it open one notch lets the shield not fog up. Its only a 100 dollar helmet but it works!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Da-mack
Tourer

Same here. I bought an HJC full helmet just for the colder weather. With a chin curtain and breath box attachment, it works really well. I ride about 50 miles to work and I can do about 35* with cover alls, good gloves and the helmet.

I got a half helmet for warmer weather that has a zip off neck curtain for in between.

The older I get, the more I hate cold.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 PM
roblack
Cruiser

Thats exactly what I got,a HJC,good helmet for the money.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm considering the modular HJC FF helmet, my dermatologist suggest I stay out of the sun and that's not going to happen so I guess I will have to look like a Golding rider LOL..

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Da-mack
Tourer

It's looking like a possible ride into work tomorrow. 36 in the morning so ill wear the hjc. 63 coming home so I can switch to the 1/2 helmet. Spring is getting here....finally!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a full-range of helmets to cover the full range of riding needs.

Hey, I love having the wind in my hair as much as anyone when we're down in Florida cruising around the Keys or at Bike Week, but....

The Daytona Polo DOT is the nuts for good weather while still enjoying the wind in your face.

The Shoei RJ Plantinum Air is a better choice for cooler, sunny days and short freeway trips sans windscreen.

The Shoei Multitec is the nuts for everyday commuting where style and pleasure take a backseat to comfort and practicality.

As we gird up for our 330 mile run down to PCB on our Wide Glide, the Misses and I are thinking we'll forego the windscreen and just go with the Shoei Multitecs as they'll deal with just about anything -- rain, bugs, wind noise and 50-60 temps -- for the trip down. Once we're checked into our condo, it's wind in the hair....

Good to have the right tools for the job!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I have a 3/4 HJC...the best helmets made...with a face shield and while it's not a FF, it blocks a lot of the cold. Yeah, I wear a SWAT looking hood thing and it has to be as warm as a FF. And like it was said, the older I get, the more I hate cold.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I have a 3/4 HJC...the best helmets made...with a face shield and while it's not a FF, it blocks a lot of the cold. Yeah, I wear a SWAT looking hood thing and it has to be as warm as a FF. And like it was said, the older I get, the more I hate cold.
I'm with you there. I'd rather be on the warmer side, and even sweat a little, than be cold. It was about 70 today and I wore 2 long sleeve shirts, a medium weight Carhartt type jacket, and I was still a little cold. LOL I should have worn my leather. 10 or 15 years ago I would have been in just a t-shirt.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I wear the full face all year long. In the summer when the temps get too warm, just open up the face shield. Plenty of air gets in that way to cool you down.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
TALLY3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FF are great I like them they keep the wind off your face and blewing up your nose in cross wind. We get alot of wind in OKLA.
I also have the HJC 3/4 wear in much of the time now.

Quick Reply: First ever full face helmet