General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1964 Pan Head Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Think that chain adjustments per miles driven is part of "routine" maintenance and has zero to do with reliability (unless you do not take the time to check the slack and it comes off)...just like oil changes IMO. And yes somewhere around Colorado I will spend a few hours at the end of the day or beofre the start of the next day's ride checking fasteners to ensure stuff doesn't go bouncing down the road. Again if you do not check then reliability kicks your butt because things will come off. IMO routine maintenance ensures this will not happen.

And yet sometimes even 'routine' maintenance may not work. Two years ago a buddy and I are riding through Spearfish Canyon and the left passing light bar on my shovel comes loose. Stop, duct tape and wire it, get back to our hotel and insepct it. The weld broke. Used a drill and screwed it together. Was gonna change it out when I got back to Kali but decided to leave it because it gives it character. I would assume that is your idea of 'unreliable' compared to your Twinkie? IMO opinion it just means sometimes $hit happens. Things like that may not be common or as common for newer iron but they still do happen.

You are right though, there is no comparison between modern-day iron and pans because it like trying to compare apples to oranges. Two different eras. You think they are crap; I think they are an absolutely marvelous piece of machinery and one of the best looking bikes HD has ever built. It is probably why I own two, my 65FLH and my 49EL. Fortunately there are many like me who still enjoy them; you obviously did not and do not.

As far as vehicles I prefer Chevys over Fords and yes I think my 55 Chevy is way better than a new one.

Can we get some more pics of the truck? I am partial to 64-66s myself but that is beautiful. Is it a Cameo?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:10 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Well, since you want to get into a semantics battle, we can do that. I'll stoop down. Since you see no relationship between what you refer to as routine maintainence and reliability, I'll change my verbage to make myself clear. The evo and the twin cam require less "routine maintainence" to remain running than any pan ever did or will. Since you obviously enjoy working on your bike way more than I do, I think I'll stick with my twin cam Roadking Classic. I like to ride more than I like working on it and as I said before, I can ride all day for several days, even weeks, without touching a wrench. You can't, but apparently you enjoy that. I like knowing that I can simply get on it, start it and ride without having to check to see what is about to fall off of it. That's what I call reliability. You seem to believe that reliability is working on it on a regular basis to keep it running. More power to ya. I seriously doubt you have original anything as far as your drive train goes in that truck of yours unless you really do think that a 235 ci 112 hp motor is better than what's in a newer truck. Wouldn't that be like putting a twin cam in a Duo Glide frame?
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. Enjoy your twincam...

The answer is yes to the part that is in bold. Easy to maintain, easy to wrench on and with the kick-down gear for the overdrive that was an option at the time, it cruises along very nicely. The tranny needed a new first and third gear and the ususal seals but that's it.

Truck came out of a field in Fresno Ca. The truck was built at the then Oakland plant. Had it since 85 and started taking it back to stock (or as close as I could) in 2008. Spent 4-1/2 doing it. Most of the fasteners are not original. Used polished stainless and oak bed rather than pinde and painted steel. Installed a modern radio that looks and fits like the old one. The paint is he correct Bombay Ivory, the red is called Cardinal Red and is actually a 56 color (didn't like the 55 Commercial Red).

Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Can we get some more pics of the truck? I am partial to 64-66s myself but that is beautiful. Is it a Cameo?
Thanks all for the compliments on the truck and to all the pan riders past and current.

themouth, yes it is a Cameo. You are partial to 64-66s! My wife is as well. Guy around the corner has a 65 and she thinks it is one of the nicest looking Chevys out there. The one in your sig has defintely been put back together very nicely.

As far as pics, it wouldn't be fair to jack this thread. Wondering where we could do it so that folks like us could share pics like these and keep on this forum. Lots of riders out there with nice cars amd bikes.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Apologies to you sir.
Accepted

Thank You.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanks all for the compliments on the truck and to all the pan riders past and current.

themouth, yes it is a Cameo. You are partial to 64-66s! My wife is as well. Guy around the corner has a 65 and she thinks it is one of the nicest looking Chevys out there. The one in your sig has defintely been put back together very nicely.

As far as pics, it wouldn't be fair to jack this thread. Wondering where we could do it so that folks like us could share pics like these and keep on this forum. Lots of riders out there with nice cars amd bikes.
I would also like to see more of both trucks and your pans as well. I inherited a Cameo from a great uncle when I was 18 but it was swiped out of his estate before we could get to Texas to claim it.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I was at a bike show last weekend there were several 1940's bikes there. A couple were perfectly restored and a couple bobbers. In my opinion they were the best looking bikes there. I would love to have any of them.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Smileman
Guy pulls up beside me today on a 1964 Pan Head Electra Glide. Now I want one.
That is all.
There is a 1969HD Police Special for sale in New Orleans area almost same bike just has bags on it.