General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1964 Pan Head Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
You need to learn how to read. I said I went over it with a wrench if I was going more than 50 miles. I never said I couldn't go that far, but if I did without going over it prior to leaving, something was coming coming off, breaking, or causing me problems. They are NOT RELIABLE. Pack your bags and if you're west of the Mississippi, go ahead and make that trip to Fla and let us know how far you get without having to wrench on it. That chain going that far without needing adjusting? You also seemed to skip over the part where I said they were great for their day, which they were. They were at least as reliable as any other bike of the time, but compared to todays bikes, they were and are crap. You probably think a 63 Ford is a better car than a new one to. Nobody is trying to replicate a pan motor. They may try to replicate the look, but the mechanics are totally antiquated.
Think that chain adjustments per miles driven is part of "routine" maintenance and has zero to do with reliability (unless you do not take the time to check the slack and it comes off)...just like oil changes IMO. And yes somewhere around Colorado I will spend a few hours at the end of the day or beofre the start of the next day's ride checking fasteners to ensure stuff doesn't go bouncing down the road. Again if you do not check then reliability kicks your butt because things will come off. IMO routine maintenance ensures this will not happen.

And yet sometimes even 'routine' maintenance may not work. Two years ago a buddy and I are riding through Spearfish Canyon and the left passing light bar on my shovel comes loose. Stop, duct tape and wire it, get back to our hotel and insepct it. The weld broke. Used a drill and screwed it together. Was gonna change it out when I got back to Kali but decided to leave it because it gives it character. I would assume that is your idea of 'unreliable' compared to your Twinkie? IMO opinion it just means sometimes $hit happens. Things like that may not be common or as common for newer iron but they still do happen.

You are right though, there is no comparison between modern-day iron and pans because it like trying to compare apples to oranges. Two different eras. You think they are crap; I think they are an absolutely marvelous piece of machinery and one of the best looking bikes HD has ever built. It is probably why I own two, my 65FLH and my 49EL. Fortunately there are many like me who still enjoy them; you obviously did not and do not.

As far as vehicles I prefer Chevys over Fords and yes I think my 55 Chevy is way better than a new one.

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-26-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Bought mine in October of 1970 from an old strawberry farmer in Aromas CA. Was my sole source of M/C transportation until 2011 when I picked up my 84 FLH out of Michagan. The 65 took me on a lot of miles-after-miles trips and as far east as Kentucky.

You are full of $hit as far as reliability but are generally correct as far as "leaks". 1965 was the first year of the sealed primary rather than the constant loss primary chain oiler. Granted, it was an idea that was far from perfect, but I have to say my 65 leaves less of a spot than my 49.

You question reliability? Sorry but pans just take more 'routine maintenance' than modern bikes.

Not going to win any beauty contests, never been a trailer queen but I can say the 65 has has never let me down.
Just relating my many years of experience riding these bikes. And years of repairing them as well. Like almost all posters, I'll relate my opinions without the insults to do so.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
Just relating my many years of experience riding these bikes. And years of repairing them as well. Like almost all posters, I'll relate my opinions without the insults to do so.
Apologies to you sir.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Buddy of mine had a '65 Pan. The only time it would "break" is when he abused it. Burnouts at stoplights etc. Other than that it was pretty reliable. At the time I had a 74 cube AMC Shovel Low Rider that was damn reliable too. The Pan was rebuilt each winter, my shovel was not.

You had to know your bike then. When ever my tach would start dancing around I knew I had to tighten up the battery cables. (negative) BTW I tried everything on that battery. But every few hundred miles you had to tighten it up.

You never did anything on the bikes then without using a good size shot of lock-tite to hold it in place. You always had a good tool kit with six sided sockets.

Now I ride a 96" twinkie. My only tools are the H-D multi tool that came with the bike, a tire plug kit and an unopened tube of lock-tite. The lock-tite is to remind me how freak'in old I am.

I'm up to 22,000 miles in two years on the TC and only change the oil and pour in gas. That's pretty nice. However, I would give my left nut for a '49 Panhead. But I would only take it for day rides.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pan heads look great. They are so pricey these days, it is hard for a younger guy to get in the door.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Think that chain adjustments per miles driven is part of "routine" maintenance and has zero to do with reliability (unless you do not take the time to check the slack and it comes off)...just like oil changes IMO. And yes somewhere around Colorado I will spend a few hours at the end of the day or beofre the start of the next day's ride checking fasteners to ensure stuff doesn't go bouncing down the road. Again if you do not check then reliability kicks your butt because things will come off. IMO routine maintenance ensures this will not happen.

And yet sometimes even 'routine' maintenance may not work. Two years ago a buddy and I are riding through Spearfish Canyon and the left passing light bar on my shovel comes loose. Stop, duct tape and wire it, get back to our hotel and insepct it. The weld broke. Used a drill and screwed it together. Was gonna change it out when I got back to Kali but decided to leave it because it gives it character. I would assume that is your idea of 'unreliable' compared to your Twinkie? IMO opinion it just means sometimes $hit happens. Things like that may not be common or as common for newer iron but they still do happen.

You are right though, there is no comparison between modern-day iron and pans because it like trying to compare apples to oranges. Two different eras. You think they are crap; I think they are an absolutely marvelous piece of machinery and one of the best looking bikes HD has ever built. It is probably why I own two, my 65FLH and my 49EL. Fortunately there are many like me who still enjoy them; you obviously did not and do not.

As far as vehicles I prefer Chevys over Fords and yes I think my 55 Chevy is way better than a new one.
Well, since you want to get into a semantics battle, we can do that. I'll stoop down. Since you see no relationship between what you refer to as routine maintainence and reliability, I'll change my verbage to make myself clear. The evo and the twin cam require less "routine maintainence" to remain running than any pan ever did or will. Since you obviously enjoy working on your bike way more than I do, I think I'll stick with my twin cam Roadking Classic. I like to ride more than I like working on it and as I said before, I can ride all day for several days, even weeks, without touching a wrench. You can't, but apparently you enjoy that. I like knowing that I can simply get on it, start it and ride without having to check to see what is about to fall off of it. That's what I call reliability. You seem to believe that reliability is working on it on a regular basis to keep it running. More power to ya. I seriously doubt you have original anything as far as your drive train goes in that truck of yours unless you really do think that a 235 ci 112 hp motor is better than what's in a newer truck. Wouldn't that be like putting a twin cam in a Duo Glide frame?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
402capt
Cruiser

The first Harley I ever owned was a '64 Panhead (Duo-Glide). I bought in in '72 for $700.00. I would say it was about as "dependable" as most of the other bikes that were on the road in the early '60s. A long trip was an "iffy" thing on most of 'em in those days.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
stuball
Banned

DAMN nice truck panz4ever!! I will be riding my pan this weekend forshore "cause the chicks dig it" . I dont even have to get them drunk.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I want that truck dude, will you sell it?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a 1942 "45" Flat Head back in the 50's and I guess they did not have enough power to loosen stuff up. I don't remember ever having to tighten up anything except for the hub bolts coming out of the rear wheel once. I had some older friends that rode hundreds of miles on Knuckles and Flat Heads without trouble, but they did keep them up in good shape.

Back in 84 my wife and I just pulled into a motel in Phoenix and an 84 year old gentleman rolled in on a Shovel from somewhere in Texas. He said he had a friend riding with him on a Goldwing, but his oil pump went bad and he had to stop and get her fixed. The old Shovel made it just fine and he was headed for California.

Quick Reply: 1964 Pan Head Electra Glide