General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question of the day....Engine Break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 PM
SinisterX
Road Warrior
Received 1,362 Likes on 473 Posts
Default Question of the day....Engine Break in

Saw the thread about first oil change and it got me thinking. How do most people break in a new engine? I used to build engines for drag cars and I have always brought a new engine up to running temperature and then run it like I stole it! Out of hundreds of engines that I have built I have only blew one up doing this. Unfortunately, it was my personal engine in a mud bogger that I consider I screwed up something somewhere (there wasn’t much left to determine the cause).

Anyway,
How do/would you break in a new bike?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

On a new bike I will follow what is on the owners manual. Keep the revs low but do not lug for the first 1000 miles. Also do not run for a long time at the same rpm. Change the oil at 1000 and then ride like you want.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 AM
slimbloke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I agree with all that for the first 1000 miles then you can ramp it up, the dealer when asked by myself about running in the slim said to" just ride it dude", well coming from an engineering background I just cant! if you know whats going on down there and its payed for with your own cash you are going to be careful.
Saying that when I was a service engineer and we picked up a new car we drove it like there was no tomorrow for the whole of its life....with no problems, I guess better tolerances on new engines really helps in this respect and if there is a faulty part best break it before the warrantee runs out!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterX
Anyway,
Keep the piston speeds variable and below 4,000-rpm for the 1st 1,000-1,500 miles to prevent excess heat...I learned how not to break in a new top end years ago and that is another story!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are about as many ways that are "right" as there are opinions on oil.

Here's a few -
http://www.hdforums....motor-break-in-procedure.html

https://www.hdforums.com...how-do-you-guys-break-in-a-new-motor

Motoman Method

I had mine broke in on the dyno during tuning before I picked it up and told them not to be gentle with it. 50 miles on the odometer & I considered it broke in.

And remember, YMMV.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,070 Likes on 17,937 Posts

This will be entertaining , the " Run it like you stole it " crew has a field day with these threads . Exactly what where these " hundreds " of engines you built ? Air cooled , water cooled , diesel , what ???????

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-28-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all good advice from the previous replies.
Dont go too high on the RPMs. Vary your RPMs meaning dont hang too long on the same RPM. Dont lug it meaning give it some gas and dont hang out going fup fup fup. Ride easy and with intention does not mean you can't break in the sixth gear, it just means don't treat your new bike like you know each other until after 1000 miles, then you can call it "BRO" or whatever you like.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

[quote=SportsterBob;11214574]Keep the piston speeds variable and below 4,000-rpm for the 1st 1,000-1,500 miles to prevent excess heat...quote]

That's how I was taught to do it. you don't need break in oil either just regular oil will do but no additives

Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterX
Saw the thread about first oil change and it got me thinking. How do most people break in a new engine? I used to build engines for drag cars and I have always brought a new engine up to running temperature and then run it like I stole it! Out of hundreds of engines that I have built I have only blew one up doing this. Unfortunately, it was my personal engine in a mud bogger that I consider I screwed up something somewhere (there wasn’t much left to determine the cause).

Anyway,
I've built a few drag motors myself and you don't have time to do a break in. Build it run it but I've blown up every one I've built, if you haven't you not running it. That's what HP is, run it till it blows up and have fun doing it

Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

I prefer something like the moto method. Dont baby it. Dont lug it. And dont run it to redline. Good rules of thumb.

Quick Reply: Question of the day....Engine Break in