General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time on my sportster

Hubby is trying to get me to ride my sportster for the first time. I am nervous and scared to get on it. I am afraid of dropping it and hurting it.

I took the saftey course last weekend and failed the test by 3 pts, I want him to get me something small to practice on that I don't care about.

He keeps saying they are all the same.

What should I do......get on it or hold out for a practice bike. I can't re-take the safety class until the end of May.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You've already taken the practice course so you could get on your Sporty and enjoy it. So do it. Hubby is right. If you drop it, oh well. It can be fixed. Now get on that thing and enjoy it!!! That's what you bought it for, right?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser

You guys that have been doing it forever make it sound so easy. I have every single muscle tense from head to toe and white knuckles when trying to ride. It is far from enjoyable right now.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

It'll only go as fast as you make it go. Go to an open lot and practice there. First by getting a feel for the clutch, then stopping, turning, etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you should pick up a used 250cc or so Honda, Yamaha, etc. to practice on, probably can pick one up super cheap. At least it will alleviate your fears of damaging your Sporty so you can concentrate on your riding, if you drop and/or damage it, no biggie!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
You guys that have been doing it forever make it sound so easy. I have every single muscle tense from head to toe and white knuckles when trying to ride. It is far from enjoyable right now.
It's alright to be nervous, but if you are too nervous, that can be dangerous. If you failed the safety course, then you might not be ready. Most folks that attempt to go riding before the are mentally ready or qualified, end up not enjoying it, they can't get comfortable and they give it up. Make sure you are ready first. My wife took the course with a pretty small 250cc Honda, they rode all weekend at the safety course. Make sure you are ready and good luck.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I think you should pick up a used 250cc or so Honda, Yamaha, etc. to practice on, probably can pick one up super cheap. At least it will alleviate your fears of damaging your Sporty so you can concentrate on your riding, if you drop and/or damage it, no biggie!
That's what I keep saying.....hubby doesn't see it that way.....maybe I'll just go buy one myself, just not sure how I will get it home. I did find one for about $1200. I would hopefully just ride it for a few weeks and then sell it.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
That's what I keep saying.....hubby doesn't see it that way.....maybe I'll just go buy one myself, just not sure how I will get it home. I did find one for about $1200. I would hopefully just ride it for a few weeks and then sell it.
Keep looking, your can probably find one a lot cheaper than that, check Craigs list.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

You can slam your bike to the ground too. If you cant sit on it flat footed with knees bent a little, it's too tall

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
maduxfn31
Tourer

See if you can rent a 250 or a smaller bike for a weekend to get your confidence up

Quick Reply: First time on my sportster