General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your gut feeling (womans intuition) tells you you're not ready for the sportster, then you're not ready. Get a cheap practice bike and learn to ride it.

Tell your hubby you love him and do the right thing. Find a 250cc bike to learn on and have fun.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
Hubby is trying to get me to ride my sportster for the first time. I am nervous and scared to get on it. I am afraid of dropping it and hurting it.

I took the saftey course last weekend and failed the test by 3 pts, I want him to get me something small to practice on that I don't care about.

He keeps saying they are all the same.

What should I do......get on it or hold out for a practice bike. I can't re-take the safety class until the end of May.
Based on what your telling us I wouldn't listen to hubby on this one. Listen to yourself and don't get on a bike that you're afraid to ride. Make sure you take the MSF again and pass it before riding the Sporty.

Not sure which model Sporty you have, but many of them are horrible beginner bikes because they sit tall and are top heavy. If you can't flat foot the Sporty comfortably then it's not going to be a good starter bike for you. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1200 Custom, it fits me fine. I feel comfortable sitting on it and can easily flat foot it. The Rebel 250 actually felt to small, but I am alot less intimidated by it. I honestly think if I could practice all by myself would help alot.

Maybe I will just play with the sporty in the driveway for a little bit each night. finding the friction zone and straddlewalking with it.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I still say one of the best way to learn how to ride and experience how a bike handles in different circumstances is to ride a dirt bike.

Pick up something cheap and find some trails and ride...you'll learn quick

Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Don't get hung up on the 250

I would drag your husband over to Brenny's. I have never bought anything there, but I have talked to them on the phone and they were up front about the condition of their used bikes. They have half a dozen bikes under 500cc and under $1500ish. Buy one of those, keep for 3 months- worst case - sell it back at a 50% loss and still have less money in it than a long weekend Harley rental.

The 400 hondas and the 350 Kawasaki are going to be a lot lighter than the Sportster and no tears if you drop it. I taught three college age kids how to ride last summer using a Honda 125, 200 and Suzuki 650. No tears.

I'm also going to respectfully disagree with Mrfixter. I have the same windshield on a 2005 Sportster Roadster. No adverse effects at ton plus. I have tested repeatedly with different handlebars, front tool bag and helmet combos, with/without windshield. The windshield always wins at speed, and most interestingly top speed is noticeably higher with the windshield in place (same course, same day). Sorry for the highjack, but that was bad advice, culture over fact.

regards
dean

Last edited by kokemill; 04-21-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Teresa_M
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm feeling like I'm just being a big baby, but it seems about a 50/50 split on whether I need to quit being a sissy and just do it vs start small and slow and work up.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
I'm feeling like I'm just being a big baby, but it seems about a 50/50 split on whether I need to quit being a sissy and just do it vs start small and slow and work up.
Hi Teresa,
I think you need to get some advice from some women riders. Have you been on the Queens of the Road forum on here yet?

My wife is learning right now on her XL883L. Lots of conflicting emotions about it but had a real good day today. I am sending her the link to this thread, maybe she can give you some advice that will encourage you.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM
RoadKing2438
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line is you need to do what ever is most comfortable for you. If not you may end up not having an enjoyable experience.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing2438
Bottom line is you need to do what ever is most comfortable for you. If not you may end up not having an enjoyable experience.
I totally agree with RoadKing2438, you need to just relax, decide what you can do to feel comfortable, and then just do it. The better you make the experience the more fun it will be and will also seem effortless. Let us know how it all turns out.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Listen to your gut!!!

Hi Teresa: Carolyn here. I learned on my Kawasaki 550 Zephyr. I rode the **** out of it from the time I took the motorcycle safety course until I was bored to death riding it. It took about nine months and I lost maybe $300 on the re-sale price. I even rode it on the Key West Poker Run in 1997 and had the WORST knee cramps ever by the time I got there. But it was worth it because I learned how to corner, ride in gravel, ride in light sand, ride in the pouring rain, and everything in between. I had difficulty keeping up with my hubby on his fast bike, but finally I was ready to move up and haven't looked back since.

I have owned a Sportster 1200 and I will say that they handle completely differently than the bikes in the safety course. This is because they have a different rake to the front end. In other words, the forks are slanted at a different angle than a small commuter bike like the ones you took the course with. This means that cornering and turning are completely different than what you learned on. Of course, you will get used to it. But if now is not the time, then get a smaller bike to learn on.

Only you know what's right for you. It's a matter of your personal safety and your own comfort level.

Quick Reply: First time on my sportster