General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You already know the basics, you learned them in the MSC, now you need practice to put it all together, like you said. Don't worry about dropping your Sporty, if you worry about it, it's more than likely going to happen. That being said, I agree with your hubby in the fact that you should ride it. If it turns out that you just can't do it, THEN get a practice bike.
GIVE IT A SHOT!!!!

Last edited by cb7263; 04-21-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

First thing you can do is just to practice your friction zone and keeping balance on the bike. If you have a driveway you can start at the bottom and slowly release the clutch and let it go up the driveway. When you're at the top just back up to the bottom again. Don't worry if you're duck walking. Do this over and over again until you're comfortable with where the clutch engages. Maybe a day or two.

Then, go to a big empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Keep practicing in the parking lot for days. Do it until you're ready. Then hit some local streets with little traffic.

Take your time. There's no hurry. Practice every single day. Don't skip a day unless weather prevents safe riding.

You'll know soon enough if riding is for you or not. Being nervous is normal. Just don't panic or let fear overcome you.

Good luck.

Last edited by baka1969; 04-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Oh yeah, pick up an engine guard from one of the members here and it'll save some damage should you dump the bike.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If the bike intimidates you it's the wrong bike to start on. There is nothing wrong with starting small and moving up as you build confidence and gain experience. It's best to feel as though you can (no pun intended) manhandle the bike. The only way to get that feeling is with a lower, lighter, less powerful machine. We aren't just talking about dropping a bike here. If the bike intimidates you from the get go something as simple as either running or stopping quickly for a yellow light could induce panic/fear. What about making a left turn on green in front of opposing traffic, are you confident you won't stall the bike in the middle of the intersection? I agree with Madnss and streeteagle...to be honest I feel like it's best to get your feet wet off road first, learn to master the controls until reaction to obstacles/situations become intuitive....before you mix it up in traffic! I cringe when I see new riders that have to concentrate on what their hands and feet are doing. A Honda Rebel 250 is a good choice, there's a reason many motorcycle riders courses use them, they are cheap, they have a low seat height, they are light and easy to pick up, and they have a very mellow power delivery...they are entry level user friendly bikes.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
Hubby is trying to get me to ride my sportster for the first time. I am nervous and scared to get on it. I am afraid of dropping it and hurting it.
Take a hammer and whack it a good one. Get that first ding out of the way and then you won't be so nervous.

Seriously, sooner or later you'll ding it. Depending on what you do, you'll either fix it or ignore it or replace the bike. Quit worrying, and get on the thing and enjoy.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Teresa_M
Hubby is trying to get me to ride my sportster for the first time. I am nervous and scared to get on it. I am afraid of dropping it and hurting it.

I took the saftey course last weekend and failed the test by 3 pts, I want him to get me something small to practice on that I don't care about.

He keeps saying they are all the same.

What should I do......get on it or hold out for a practice bike. I can't re-take the safety class until the end of May.
Teresa,

A lot of guys on this forum think that you can go take a rider's edge course for a weekend, and then you'll be all set to just jump on the nearest Harley, and ride off into the sunset. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've always been an advocate for learning the fundamentals of motorcycle riding on something lightweight, easy to maneuver, and not too powerful…especially for women with no experience.

I don't know what your husband is thinking…you didn't pass your motorcycle safety course on their small bike, and he wants you to start riding a Harley Sportster now? With all due respect, your husband doesn't sound too bright…and he is dead wrong. All motorcycles aren't the same. Your Sportster isn't lightweight, nor is it easy to handle for someone of your experience level.

You need to start out on something small like a Honda 250, to build your skills and increase your confidence level. Practice riding in parking lots, or anywhere away from traffic. Retake your safety course in May, and re-evaluate. Maybe you will need to ride a small metric bike for a year or so before you make the leap to the Harley. No shame in that. Good luck to you, and don't let your husband pressure you into riding a motorcycle that you don't feel you're ready for yet.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not let hubby talk you into something your not comfortable with period. If you do drop your sporty you will have more fear aftewards then your feeling now.

My brother in laws first bike was a sporty and he dropped it and refused to get back on it. Luckily a friend of his had a small bike for him to take for almost a month until he got his confidence up to get back on the sporty.

The sporty was my first bike and was hard to learn on but I didn't have a lot of fear (most of the fear was scratching it) and I took right off in it and took it slow and was ok.

Everybodies different and only the actual individual knows whats best for them. Even though your married to him, do not let him push you into something that you don't feel right about.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

i aint gonna say you should do this, or you should do that.

Some buy a Harley and learn to ride it, some start out smaller and then progress to a bigger bike.

All I'll say is start on what YOU feel comfortable with, and the rest will follow. Just don't give up on riding, because once you start, and you're comfortable, you won't ever want to go back.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you should wait until you retake the class. One of the most important things about riding is comfort and confidence and right now you are not either. You should wait until you are ready and not let some pressure you into anything you are uncomfortable with.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 PM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres my opinion (not to be confused with advice) In the army we trained as we fight. I think you should go to a parking lot and sit on the bike and Flintstone around some cones to gain the feel of the weight and balance. Then do it with the bike running in neutral, YES, running and in Neutral!. This makes you aware of the machine under you and the Attention to detail involved to stay alert. after you do this a couple of times i bet you will be more than eager to engage that clutch, pop down a gear, and sit high and pretty and cruise with your feet on the pegs and a smile on your face. All while going a smooth 5 or 10 mph in the parking lot! thats a start! Sometimes group classes can be intimidating and nerve racking because you are someone else's pace. create your own pace. one more thing dont look back, look ahead. set goals and do it! If you want to ride then make it so, if someone else is the driving factor and wants you ride, speak your mind! i am sure you get my point! agree or disagree this is just my opinion!

Quick Reply: First time on my sportster