General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 AM
pb_xtreme2003
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Teresa; first, kudos to you for working it on 2-wheels and being insistent on continuing on. You know what's needed...a sweet dirt bike for you to get dirty, beat-up & learn your balance + skills. I'm sure quite a few of us 35+ year riders started off digging it in the dirt. Then you don't need to feel bad about getting a sweet Sporty dinged up...JMO.
this is my first post but i thought it was an important one.i agree that you need to take things at your own pace. dont let the fear of psych you out.

i would also like to recommend the advise given about dirt bikes. i personally started on one when i was 14 and it proved invaluable. learning on one teaches you how when to lean in most circumstances. which is very important when taking the msf course. i moved up to beat up cbr600 stunt bike from honda. ther seller didnt tell me it was geared 10 up in the rear for power wheelies nor that it had a bald tire. went to ride it home, skies opened up. i learned buy the necessity of getting home. now these years later(im saying that like im not 27) ive owned a 990cc vtwin super motor, a 1000cc Z1000, a sportster, a dyna, a softtail, and now just picked up a street glide. i guess my point is that dirtbike teach you control in unconvential ways which make the street much easier. but also go with your own pace. no matter what anyone says you'll know when the right time for you is.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
Or maybe she'll ride trikes forever and never go "back" to 2 wheels. Nothing wrong with that.
That's what I was thinking. I know someone that had polio when he was young. He has ridden trikes his whole life. I don't mean to upset anyone, but riding a motorcycle is not that important or really an impressive accomplishment. Even more important, it is not for everyone.

All this concern about 'counter steering', leaning, or turning corners is foolish. While it would be nice if a new rider is competent at this, a new riders primary concern, 'job 1', should be not getting maimed or killed by cages. And that is much easier to do if controlling a scooter is 'second nature', not influenced by the size/weight/power of the scooter.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-02-2013 at 10:29 PM.