General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Looking for a stereo

Installing a batwing fairing and not sure what would be a good stereo. Don't want to spend a crap load of cash, just something decent. I saw these two on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pyle-PLM...item2327f4879b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Marine-...item1c31daf81c

Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 AM
mikek87
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a batwing on my sporty and brought a radio/speaker bundale at walmart for $50. I can still hear it clearly at 80 on the highway. Works just fine

Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM
wheelzk
Road Captain

Doesn't have to be a marine head unit. Tons of us have head units that are not a "marine" class stereo. I have a vapor barrier vinyl sheet on top of the unit inside the fairing, and have been caught in numerous rain storms and have never had an issue. I've got a Sony. Not to say that marine radios aren't made to resist water just saying you can go with something else too IMO

Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't waste your time on a unit with a CD player. Unless it's an expensive model you most likely will not be able to play CDs while riding down the road.

The cheaper one in your links is the type of "HEAD UNIT" to go for especially if you have your music on MP3 player, or even your phone which could use Bluetooth for playback.

BUT, I'd pass up Pyle for a Sony, JVC or Pioneer. And even though it says marine, typically most are only splash proof, not rain or wash proof. I installed a flip up cover to protect mine, and it has a remote that I velcroed on the tank console to make it easy to change channels, songs, albums and even tone very simply.

I had a Kenwood with CD and never was able to play CDs while driving down the road, always skipped the music so I went to MP3 players and jacked into the aux input in the front.

My new "inexpensive" head unit is a JVC KDX50B7. It's held up very well and has both front and rear USB connects and is bluetooth operational. I current have a simple portable thumb drive / USB drive with my music on it.

Most units volume typically distorts at high volumes so many use a secondary amp to really boost the volume over what most main units can provide. I got lucky in the fact that I have a limited space of only 4" for my speakers (would prefer a 6 1/2") and the unit I own powers them nicely, good volume and tonal control gives me sound over and above the engine running at highway speeds. I would like to add secondary speakers and an amp but it's not real important because it's hard to achieve top notch sound on a limited budget.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 04-22-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I kinda figured a CD would not play on the road.
I like the idea of the ipod interface. I will probably go with a unit from Sony, or something better. Can anyone recommend a good fairing-friendly, marine-type stereo cover?

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Timco
Club Member

I have this one. https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CH0Q8wIwBA

Works like a champ, & the CD player never skips.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

On another note, would it be better to purchase a stereo receiver and an amp? If so, could this be done on the cheap and still get better sound than just the receiver unit alone? For example, maybe purchase a $50 stereo and get an amp?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
DTCOOPER
Cruiser

Alpine makes a small size amp. I've got it inside my fairing sitting on top of y stereo. It's made as a plug n play for alpine head units. But you can cut the plugs off and wire it in. Great amp. I use a sony cdx60mui marine receiver. I can hear music clearly up to about 85.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Looking for a stereo