General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 PM
mooks005
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty?

I am picking up a Street Glide on Friday and have never owned a harley. Should I purchase the extended warranty?

Old 08-17-2005, 11:41 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty?

Unless you're going to ride 75K a year...I say no. Your choice.

Do a search on this topic, it's been covered a zillion times. There is lots of good information in those threads.

Mac

Old 08-17-2005, 11:48 PM
RIEDEL
Intermediate

I purchased a new Ultra Classic in Jan. 2001 and bought the extended warranty to go with it. I opted to extend the warranty 4 years, for a total of 5 years coverage. That was when the factory warranty was only one year; now it is two. If I recall, I paid $800 for the extra coverage and don't regret it at all. I have had the cam tensioner replaced, the voltage regulator, and most recently the stator. Even if you wouldn't have enough repairs to equal the cost of the extended warranty; the piece of mind has got to be worth something. It will also help with resale, as the warranty transfers with ownership. ( at least when I purchased )

Old 08-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With few exceptions, I'm not an extended warranty guy...

Before you buy the warranty look at the details. There will be things which are covered under the basic warranty that may not be covered under the extended warranty and some things which will require very specific and documented routine maintenance to make a claim. I haven't looked at the HD version, but I'm sure it is similar to most. Weigh the cost (cost + financing??) and see if it makes sense. Additionally, you may run into issues with the warranty when you start installing aftermarket performance components. You will be installing "stuff" before you know it, so this may become an issue depending on the HD service manager you deal with.

Wear items (brakes, tires, clutch, etc), as well as routine maintenance will not be covered and will be paid for out of pocket regardless of warranty or not. You can do a lot of this type of work yourself if you are handy (even a little bit).

Our motorcycles are fairly bullet-proof and not very complicated. They will give years of service if given the proper routine maintenance. To recoupe your money on a warranty you will have to experience the failure of a major component such as the engine or transmission. Those failures, although rare, might happen. It is the gamble you make when you buy the warranty. You are betting something will fail and they are betting it will not.

The one extended warranty I opted to purchase was for my 3/4 ton pickup's drivetrain. This truck routinely tows a heavy camper and has towed it from Alaska to Florida. The warranty was given to me at a big discounted rate since I was in the military at the time. Has it paid for itself? Not yet, but one failure of that big transmission would make it worthwhile.

OBTW, you can make the extended warranty decision several weeks/months after your purchase. There is no rush.

Bottom line - I wouldn't get it.

Sorry for the long post... Hope this helps.

Edmo

Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

With the 2 year warrantee now, I wouldn't buy it either

Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Markcuda
Banned

Sir, do what makes YOU feel better[8D]
Your bike comes with a 2 year.
How long do you plan on keeping the bike?
How many miles do you plan to put on the bike in them years?
For me, it was a no brainer