General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Rides with the Family Jewels

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Rides with the Family Jewels

So, I searched past threads and have not really found a great answer to this concern. I do not want to come off as crude, but want to ask a legitimate question about ways that male riders deal with the "family jewels" for extended riding time.

I wear form fitting, comfortable riding gear (vs. commando), but am having a problem with both room and comfort. I am 6'1 and ride my motorcycles with stock seats (touring, softtail, and sportsters). Each bike is a bit different, but some of the bigger bikes are giving me issues. At times, I have to readjust to keep from feeling pain either from the crunch of the seating position or the long term vibration.

After a long riding weekend (1000-1500 miles) I might have some lingering discomfort in the following day. I am sure that folks will post lots of funny stuff and make some comments. Hell, I get that this is a touchy subject, but how do you go about making sure that you aren't cracking your nuts, vibrating them to the point of pain, or squeezing them between your tank, leg, and seat during tight turns.

I am unsure if it is a seating issue, something you just deal with (have been riding for years), or something other guys have solved? Let's see how this plays out -

Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 PM
BareBones
Tourer
Default Family jewels

Hey man. I'm not gonna bust your ***** and start cracking jokes. Lol. Seriously though. I would think maybe you should try to put a softer seat on ot least one of your bikes and see if that helps. I ride a 2011 Nightster with a stock seat and don't really have any issues with that. I do wear Under Armor boxer briefs and since I found those I will admit that they definitely provide much better comfort and support than any of the other types that I have worn. I hope you figure it out and soon because no man wants to go through that. Good luck, have fun, ride safe.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
BareBones
Tourer

P.s. I have heard this from a few sport bike guys but maybe try wearing a pair of padded cycling shorts under your pants when you go on long rides.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM
cobby
Tourer

Commando is the way to go. Let them figure out where they want to ride.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Under Armour heat gear when riding long distances. I also had my seat redone by MCC and I never have a problem. I'm 6'5", 280 and have no issues. I will say I had some discomfort on my original stock seat.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I might try out the Under Armor idea. I typically try out some boxer briefs but maybe the tighter fit will help out. I was not really thinking it was the seat because I have lots of different kinds of seats. The problem occurs most on my touring bike and my soft tails. I imagine I likely don't ride the smaller bikes for long distances.

Years back I read some story about testicular problems with dudes who frequently rode bicycles for competition and they moved to gel seats or seats with a cut-out spot by the "nacho" area. Was not sure if motorcycle riders ran into the same problems? After having a sore sack for a few days following long rides, I was left looking for answers.

Any other takes?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try these:
"CROUCH WITHOUT THE OUCH IN BALLROOM JEANS...WITH A HIDDEN CROUCH GUSSET FOR EASE".
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ans/86069.aspx
They will keep your ***** from becoming discs on a long ride.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

When ya get my age ya can just throw them over your shoulder and they stay out of the way..

sorry..

I get off every so often and walk around for maybe 10 mins when they start to act up, seems to help and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

Maybe a gel seat?

Al

Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,475 Likes on 2,214 Posts

my wife holds mine.....that way they are always kept warm and protected......

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
Try these:
"CROUCH WITHOUT THE OUCH IN BALLROOM JEANS...WITH A HIDDEN CROUCH GUSSET FOR EASE".
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ans/86069.aspx
They will keep your ***** from becoming discs on a long ride.
Those are crazy. Have you tried them out? This seems like an amazing product. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Long Rides with the Family Jewels