General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotator Cuff Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,856 Likes on 19,336 Posts
Default Rotator Cuff Surgery

I went under the knife this morning ... Torn Rotator Cuff, Torn Ligament and Bone Spurs. I wish that I could say that it ( the injury ) happened in some manly macho manner ... but ... Nope ... I missed the first step going to the basement and beat the crap out of myself. My surgeon promised me that I'd be ready to ride in time for the Flat Track Races in Lima, OH ... but "guaranteed" me Sturgis ( I usually go the week before ) would be no problem ...REHAB,REHAB,REHAB. I'm feeling pretty good right now as the "doctor installed" drugs haven't worn off yet ... typing with the left hand is a bitch ... I'm sure there will be more "difficult tasks" in the coming days !!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy had his done a couple of years ago by the Red Wing surgeon. His was seriously messed up. Although he will never be able to lift his arm above shoulder height, you can't keep off the Street Glide. Good luck with your recovery

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Best of luck on your recovery. I had it done back in '98. My tear was so bad I had to wait a month before the doc would allow me to rehab. By the end of that month the scar tissue had built up to the point were my subsequent 30 rehab visits were all very painful... Since I was lazy, I didn't do any rehab at home. Thus, it took me a year to fully recover to the extent where I had successfully gained back 95% movement.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

had this done just over a year ago. If you are looking for a little protection until you are 100% buy a EVS brand shoulder support brace. Light weight, and machine washable. very supportive. Sizing is accurate. I still wear mine when I quad or snowmobile.
EVS SB03 Shoulder Brace.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Just strictly follow the rehab program and you will be 100%. The rehab exercises can be quite painful in the beginning. Doing paperwork left handed was a chore, but nobody will love you enough to help out.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I was at Physio this morning for my torn Rotator. I did mine skiing this winter. It wasn't a spectacular fall. Hit some frozen chicken heads (chunks of ice) under a couple inches of power. My ski popped off and I went out the front door. Problem was I was on a double black run in the trees in a cliff area. So there was a bit of urgency to get spun around and get my good edge in to stop the decent. In the process of my flailing around I ripped the muscles in my shoulder (Rotator). It's not bad enough that I need surgery but after 2 months now it's still incredibly painful. But its' on the mend. Physio really helps.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
katrina05
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you have a speedy recovery....do the rehab past the point you think you can withstand...rehab is as important as the quality of the surgeon doing the repair.....best of luck

Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Good luck with your recovery.

As for the not feeling bad right now because of the "doctor installed drugs", I can relate. When I had knee surgery, later in the day, I was thinking "wow, this isn't bad at all". I had a rude awakening the next day.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Make SURE you do the PT !

My wife has had three Rotator Cuff surgeries. I have been putting off mine since i separated my shoulder a few years ago. Doc can't guarantee he can fix it with a scope until he looks inside, and said it'd be almost a year of rehab if he has to open me up. I didn't even ask about riding a bike so that I can ride and tell my wife 'Doc didn't say I couldn't ride'.

Good luck with your recovery !

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Shrekp
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it done about seven years ago. Nothing is more important than rehab
I am better now than ever was but did really aggressive rehab
Good luck and you will enjoy Sturgis

Quick Reply: Rotator Cuff Surgery