General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning laced wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning laced wheels

How do you clean and polish your laced wheels?

Old 02-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Bigdee183
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning laced wheels

Polish, cloth, case of beer and all afternoon.

D

Old 02-18-2007, 01:26 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy new spokes.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:35 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no easy way, The cost of having spokes, But when yer done.........Nothing looks better.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Aces N Eights

Old tube sock and some polish. Gets between the spokes great and it is easy but time consuming anyway you look at it. Those spray-on wash-off products are crap. Take the time to do it right.

07HC

Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

There are a number of cleaning products out there, but you willmost likely find a method through trial and error that works best for you. The biggest hurdle is lifting the bike to freely turn each wheel for access to wheels and spokes. Check out this link: www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm
I use this to lift my ElectraGlide Classic and it works great. You lift the front wheel or the rear wheel depending on where you locate the lift under the frame. Lifting can be done with the bike on the jiffy stand. Just grab the left hand grip with your left hand while pushing back on the lift bar with your right hand. The bike will slowly come up level as you lift. Once level, push the lift bar all the way down until the intended wheel is elevated and the lift bar is all the way down. There are much better hydraulic lifts for doing mechanical work on your bike, but for cleaning this wooden gadget cannot be beat.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:09 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

we have to clean our spoke wheels?Been there, done that on my '76 FXE and swore I would never do it agian..

so, time for new wheels or bride the kids... I could go for the grunge bike look...

Old 02-18-2007, 02:21 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

little strips of cloth , mothers chrome polish, a good radio station ,several hours of free time , and maybe throw in a couple of busch lites for a final touch [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-18-2007, 02:35 PM
badherb
Road Captain

There are a number of cleaning products out there, but you willmost likely find a method through trial and error that works best for you. The biggest hurdle is lifting the bike to freely turn each wheel for access to wheels and spokes. Check out this link: www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm
I use this to lift my ElectraGlide Classic and it works great. You lift the front wheel or the rear wheel depending on where you locate the lift under the frame. Lifting can be done with the bike on the jiffy stand. Just grab the left hand grip with your left hand while pushing back on the lift bar with your right hand. The bike will slowly come up level as you lift. Once level, push the lift bar all the way down until the intended wheel is elevated and the lift bar is all the way down. There are much better hydraulic lifts for doing mechanical work on your bike, but for cleaning this wooden gadget cannot be beat.
I love this idea.... by far the best tip I've seen and cheap too... thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Protrucker
Tourer

I put the bike up on the lift & use "mothers"..........that is my kids mother.
She does a great job with the wheels & the rest of the bike. LOL

I might have to get more involved with the cleaning & polishing this year though.[sm=smiley13.gif]
She has her own Low Rider to clean now.

Quick Reply: Cleaning laced wheels