General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.O.G. Membership...worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:21 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.O.G. Membership...worth it??

My wife and I are thinking of joining H.O.G., and becoming mbrs of the local chapter. (I understand you can be a part of the national H.O.G. org, without necessarily belonging to a specific chapter...I think...) I've e-mailed the membership chairman of the local chapter a couple of weeks back, but haven't yet heard back from him. Not sure if this is a good thing, or not. Don't know if it is just a sing of winter slowdown, or a sign that he can't be bothered to respond to queries from potential mbrs. Regardless, I'm wondering if joining H.O.G. is worth it. Other than a crest to sew onto your jacket, what do you really get out of it? I'd like to hear from both current and lapsed members, with opinions on the value of joining this org. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks...

Old 02-18-2007, 12:23 PM
MAchonewon
Road Master
Default RE: H.O.G. Membership...worth it??

Don't let a few people influence your decision in joinging or not. Planned rides and other HOG meets are the best way to meet like minded people such as yourself. Sign up.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

I'm a member but mostly for the 15% discount I get at the dealership.......

Old 02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
dynakin
6th Gear

I have been a member of national hog for two years and have been contemplating joining the local chapter. Thanks for the post and hope there's a lot of response. I think if I joined it would be fun. The local chapter does at least on organized ride a week. thanks for any advice

Old 02-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

If the local membership offers a discount and you do any shopping at the dealer I'd say it's worth it. For the other stuff probably not; most of the rides I've seen planned are group rides from the dealership to a restaurant 5 miles away for the weekly/monthly dinner run.

I think the national membership is worth is (just renewed mine actually!) I made use of it last year with the Fly 'N Ride program, rented a bike up in CO for our anniversary, and it was alot cheaper than the standard rates were! Plus you get one or two tows a year, and some other stuff (kindof like having a AAA membership for the bike). For $45 a year, why not?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Harleygal
Cruiser

I think it depends on the local chapter. We were members of the local chapter for a couple of years and understood the newbie thing. I mean, we realized most of the folks had been in this chapter together for several years and didn't expect them to fall all over themselves welcoming us or anything.

We showed up early at events at the dealership and worked our tails off setting up and doingthe grunt work with a smile on our faces, attended the meetings, etc.and tried to be friendly to everyone, but almost no one would even speak to us! Never did figure out what the problem was but after a couple of years of the cold shoulder, we just didn't renew our membership. We spoke to other people who had a similar experience with this chapter, so maybe it wasn't just us.I've heard really good things about other chapters, though.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ride to eat eat to ride

Old 02-18-2007, 12:40 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Try it for a year.. not that expensive and you might meet and make like minded friends...

Oh, an you have to be a member of the national before you can be a member of the local...

Old 02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Harley_Vette
Advanced

National membership....definitely. Local....depends on the chapter and whether or not the HD dealership offers extra discounts. Our chapter is very active and HD dealer offers great discounts. I am am a lifetime member and hope to be able to ride forever. Meet so many good people.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's 12 cents a day, what is there to think about?

Join a chapter and get involved. Worse case senerio is you blew some time and very little money. I recently joined a chapter and have met some very cool people who share my interests.

Quick Reply: H.O.G. Membership...worth it??