General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

draining gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007 | 11:18 PM
texanharley2005
|
Advanced
Default draining gas tank

Well the son-in-law just called from Japan and he is sending his bike back to the states. He has a 2003 883 bike. He says there is a little gas in the tank and after opening the pitcock no gas will come out. Is there a electrical valve also that stops the gas from draining? I did not think so but he says for some reason the gas will not drain now.. But it has more then a gal of gas in it... He did take off the line to the crub and has tried both setting on the pitcock.. He needs to get it drain so the service will bring his bike back to the states...

any help would be nice...Also does any one know where the drain pug is for the oil.. I told him to check just under the oil tank and see if there is a line like what is mine 2005 softail. Not sure i told him right...LOL

thank you if you know anything that will help just e-mail me please he has only 5 days to get things ready...

Old 02-17-2007 | 11:40 PM
ultra man
Intermediate
Default RE: draining gas tank

Mine is fuel injected so just going on experience, isnt there a vaccum line going to the petcock, as in no vaccum and the valve wont open. Again my last non-fuel injected bike was like that.

Old 02-18-2007 | 01:11 AM
straitshot151
Tourer

It wont drain thru the petcock unless the engine is turning over drawing a vacumn,There is a vacumn line hooked to the back side of the petcock.Thats the way mine is.Its supposed to be a safety feature so the gas will shut off if the bike goes over on its side.If he has a garage maybe he could take the cap off for a few days and let it evaporate out,shouldnt take but a couple of days.

Old 02-18-2007 | 02:56 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

Disconnect the feed line from the petcock, and take off the fuel cap.

Oh, and have a bucket ready.

Old 02-18-2007 | 09:47 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

My 02 Dyna is carbed. When I checked the in-tank fuel filter for debris, I simply removed the petcock after running the tank almost empty. Like the guy above says, have a bucket ready. To put it back together put teflon tape on the threads and reinstall.

Old 02-18-2007 | 09:57 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Take a small suction device, like what you use for cleaning your childrens noses out with, or you can buy the one harley sells. After the tank is near empty, take the vacuum line off the petcock and hook toe vacuum puller to the petcock and suck it out.

Old 02-18-2007 | 10:16 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

did he ever consider riding it untill it's empty?

Old 02-18-2007 | 10:20 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Any one remember how to siphon gas??

Old 02-18-2007 | 10:57 AM
jakedog
Road Warrior

Under the engine is a rubber hose attached with a worm clamp. Remove the oil dipstick then disconnect that hose and drain the oil.

Old 02-18-2007 | 01:25 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bagga

did he ever consider riding it untill it's empty?
Yeh, just let it sit idling in the garge (with proper ventilation) til it dies....lol JK!!

Quick Reply: draining gas tank