General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling w/ a CPAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Oxford
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Traveling w/ a CPAP

Recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, I'm relatively new to the CPAP machine. I'm getting used to it, but my wife is sleeping much better!

The machine comes with a decent travel bag, but it's a pain in the **** to travel with, especially when flying. It's pretty big to be carrying on the bike. I'm wondering what some of you might be doing. Do the smaller travel size machines work or should I just go with out?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Roger95
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I travel without but don't sleep for crap without my machine. I also don't travel too often.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I take mine use it if I have electricity while camping.
Read up on how to control apnea it helps when sleeping without it.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 AM
sambo42xa
Cruiser

For one of our "bike week" here in NH I pack mine in the car w the rest of our luggage. On a trip to FL a TSA asked first off if it was a CPAP and gave it a quick check. It did come on the plane with me though. I have also gone away for a night or two on the bike and never taken it with me. Other than that, I have never traveled with it packed on the bike.
On another note: My wife said I would stop breathing numerous times and it scared the **** out of her. It is difficult at first using it but give it time and before you know it you'll be sleeping like a baby and so will she. I have been using mine for about 3 yrs and it has helped/worked. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

I have been using a cpap for about 6 years now. I definitely can tell when I don't use it. More times than not, I don't take it with me when I travel. Especially if the wife isn't going with me. Mine is more for snoring than apnea so if the wife isn't there, I don't have to worry about being woke up 50 time a night by her trying to get me so stop snoring.

I have traveled with it before though. It's not really any more of a pain than toting a laptop. Also if you are flying and checking your bag, just take a little bigger suit case and throw it in there. It will be one less thing you have to worry about going through TSA.

Not sure what type of mask you are using but find one that you really like and is comfortable for you. It will make all the difference in how long it takes you to get use to it.

Last edited by RoadKing2438; 04-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using CPAP for over 10 yrs now and never leave home without it. I just remove the humidifier and take just the pump and mask/hose. Fits in a small bag I found and takes very little room up in the bags. Not worth the issue of not getting a good nights rest to not take it, especially when on long rides and you need the sleep .

Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by pt4u2nv
I have been using CPAP for over 10 yrs now and never leave home without it. I just remove the humidifier and take just the pump and mask/hose. Fits in a small bag I found and takes very little room up in the bags. Not worth the issue of not getting a good nights rest to not take it, especially when on long rides and you need the sleep .

takes up a lot less room without the water tray, and i don't hardly use that anyway. when you're on a bike trip, you want the best sleep you can get (at night anyways ) so why put yourself at risk by not taking it?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,162 Likes on 3,674 Posts

My Resmed S8 is very small and fits in my bag, carry on, saddlebag....i don't go anywhere w/o it...I will leave the humidifier home unless i am going to vegas for example...if i just jo on a overnighter or a few days on the bike, it is coming with me fo'sure...been using it for over 10 years now...I also sell them...The local store that sell them and rent to own them are getting freaking rich it's such a gimmick...$350.00 for one is my cost.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Diagnosed w/sleep apnea back in 2006, but I'm a "restless" sleeper...constantly rolling around. The CPAP ended up on my ear/face/head/etc. Went back to Dr. & he prescribed the TAP mouthguards - no looking back. To me, the machine was too cumbersome, noisy and like trying to sleep in scuba gear. These mouthguards are fantastic...at least for me.

http://tapintosleep.com/

FYI, this would solve your traveling woes too...JMO.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I can't sleep worth **** without mine. Mine breaks down and fits into a small bag. I tuck into my saddle bag with no problems.

Last edited by harleyguy5571; 09-12-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Traveling w/ a CPAP