General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you prefer riding solo or in a group?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013 | 11:03 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

About 95% of my riding is Solo. Now n then I ride with a buddy. On rare occasions with a couple buddies. Never been a socialite.

Old 04-05-2013 | 05:09 AM
HMCS(FMF)
Tourer

Solo or 2 up with the Admiral (wife) - clears my head and leaves the BS of the day where it belongs. Riding with up to a couple of my friends and their wives/gf's is good too every now and again. We know each others riding styles and that makes for a better riding experience. I'm with the Patriot Guard as well, but am vigilant with my own self-awareness and that of those around me during those rides. Riding with complete strangers, no thanks.

Old 04-05-2013 | 07:04 AM
Black Gator
Tourer
Cool

Yup, prefer solo but sometimes do enjoy having a close friend to ride with. Safety in numbers?

Old 04-05-2013 | 07:36 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

I can go either way with it. There is 4 or 5 of us that ride together quite often but I have no problems getting on the bike and taking off somewhere by myself. Just like last weekend, a few of us were supposed to go to a music and bike event. Everyone backed out for one reason or another so I went by myself. I forget sometimes how nice it is to ride alone. Think I will probably start doing more of it as a matter of fact. It does take a lot for me to ride in a big group people I don't know though. That is a very special occasion.

Old 04-05-2013 | 07:52 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I am a good group rider, but ride most of my time alone - going to work, driving cross country, etc. Group rides are really cool when you have close friends that are in synch with you. Strangers who ride strange are a-whole-nother thing.

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:29 AM
DM1975
Road Captain

I prefer small groups but as long as I'm on my bike I'm good to hook.

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:34 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master

When I bought my first Harley in the mid 90's I was ask to ride with a group of about 20 riders. Didn't know many of them, but they sure liked to ride from beer joint to beer joint. On my first trip, one female rider went off the road and down a small hill, cuts and bruises but lived to drink another beer.

Did I mention that I don't drink when sitting in the front seat of a motorcycle. Cocktail hour starts when the keys are on the table.

Thinking that this was a fluke I was ask to ride again on a longer beer stop run. I tried it again for the last time, this time there were broken bones a rider took 2 other riders out with him.

It's just no fun riding with idiots, there is enough things to watch out for without adding the elements of unskilled riders that have had too many beers into the equation. Testosterone is a bad thing when marinated in alcohol.

I was lucky, my life long friend bought a Harley shortly after I did and my group consisted of he and his wife and me and my wife. We never had any issues because we all realized that certain guidelines must be followed.

We lost him to Leukemia 2 years ago so I'm pretty much solo now, although I always have enjoyed and look forward to meeting other riders at various stops along my journey.

Old 04-05-2013 | 10:31 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain

Like to ride with 1 or 2 friends or smaller groups. On occasion have ridden with the large group when going to events or destinations. When just RIDING to ride prefer the smaller groups. 1 or 2

Old 04-05-2013 | 10:39 AM
Bobino
Tourer

95% of the time, its solo. Don't mind to ride with one or two friends once in a while.

Old 04-05-2013 | 10:57 AM
travelsfardoyle
Cruiser
Default Solo

Prefer to ride alone, maybe once or twice a year with friends that live all over the world, we try to get together for a ride at least once a year, pick a place in the middle, meet up, ride together and enjoy the scenery, other than that I ride solo. Had an MC invite me to join/ride with them, went with them once, last time, all about riding to the bar and nothing else. Same with charity rides, poker runs, etc. Not worth the hassle of trying to watch the road and the idiots in front, behind, and beside you.

Quick Reply: Do you prefer riding solo or in a group?