Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Help with decel pop

I have a 2013 Heritage. At 75 miles I installed Vance and Hines Straight Shot slip-on's. Getting decel pop now. Pipes were installed properly and no leaks as best as I can see. If I am cruising at highway speed and go straight closed throttle I get decel pop. If Im at say 2,000 rpm or less and decal and down shift no pop. I have the stock A/C, stock header, cat is still there. After 150 miles like this I installed Night Rider FL-Vied-10's and have set them at about 60%. I've only ridden it about 10 miles with the Vied's. But Im wondering if maybe the Straight Shot's are a little too free flowing for this setup, and maybe I should use something like Rush's slip-on's with more baffling inside???

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 318 Posts

Oh, Im just trying to get a better than stock sound for the bike. Not worried about a performance increase.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Dangermouse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search and read a few threads on here about back pressure. Lots of info. The answer is yes, you probably need more back pressure. You will find a couple possible solutions. Also search for threads on torque cones these might be your solution and you can get them cheap on ebay.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 AM
steel cat 41
Advanced

Tighten exhaust bolts going into heads might only go half a turn but will stop decal pop

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
I have a 2013 Heritage. At 75 miles I installed Vance and Hines Straight Shot slip-on's. Getting decel pop now. Pipes were installed properly and no leaks as best as I can see. If I am cruising at highway speed and go straight closed throttle I get decel pop. If Im at say 2,000 rpm or less and decal and down shift no pop. I have the stock A/C, stock header, cat is still there. After 150 miles like this I installed Night Rider FL-Vied-10's and have set them at about 60%. I've only ridden it about 10 miles with the Vied's. But Im wondering if maybe the Straight Shot's are a little too free flowing for this setup, and maybe I should use something like Rush's slip-on's with more baffling inside???
Nightrider actually recommends you don't go more than 50 percent on ViED if you have a new touring bike with stock headers. I also went for 60 percent on my Slim with my ViED, thinking the richer the better. But increase in pop ensued. Went back down to original setting of 50 percent and she's purrrin with little to no pop. Bike actually runs smoother and quicker off the line at 12 o'clock on the ViED. Go figure.

Also, if you didn't use a torque wrench to tighten down your muffler clamps, do so. I went to 68 foot lbs on mine.

Finally, I think if you go from open throttle on the freeway to a quick close, you're probably gonna get a little pop with any type of "performance" muffler. Only the stock mufflers would totally eliminate that, IMHO.

I actually have VH quiet baffles in my VH Slip ons, so they are not as open as yours. But I still get some pop on occasion with a quick decel, especially when the bike is going downhill. It's just muffled (mostly after ViED install and 50 percent setting) and doesn't happen much.

Attached Thumbnails Help with decel pop-viedadjustchart.jpg  

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 04-04-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Lance Arrant
Intermediate

I put cycle shack slip ons on my 2013 heritage with stock ac and head pipes. I had decel popping so i went with fl-vied-10 and nightrider recommended I set mine at 75%. I started out at 50% and still had decel popping. I ended up at 100% and that got rid of almost all decel popping but still get some on occasion. So I guess every bike is different.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little decel pop is nothing to particularly worry about. If it happens while cruising or during acceleration, you have a bigger problem.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

better plugs can help this too...
I have a fuelmoto pc3, had some pop, was a simple map change... not sure about the nr setup.
But I do know from working on other bikes a better spark plug can help to cure a pop...

Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Nightrider actually recommends you don't go more than 50 percent on ViED if you have a new touring bike with stock headers. I also went for 60 percent on my Slim with my ViED, thinking the richer the better. But increase in pop ensued. Went back down to original setting of 50 percent and she's purrrin with little to no pop. Bike actually runs smoother and quicker off the line at 12 o'clock on the ViED. Go figure.

Also, if you didn't use a torque wrench to tighten down your muffler clamps, do so. I went to 68 foot lbs on mine.

Finally, I think if you go from open throttle on the freeway to a quick close, you're probably gonna get a little pop with any type of "performance" muffler. Only the stock mufflers would totally eliminate that, IMHO.

I actually have VH quiet baffles in my VH Slip ons, so they are not as open as yours. But I still get some pop on occasion with a quick decel, especially when the bike is going downhill. It's just muffled (mostly after ViED install and 50 percent setting) and doesn't happen much.
68ft/lbs on the flange nuts at tthe head ?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Oh, Im just trying to get a better than stock sound for the bike. Not worried about a performance increase.
Good thing! Were you looking for a performance DEcrease? Without enough back pressure you will lose significant low end torque.

Quick Reply: Help with decel pop