General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the V&H slip-ons with the 1.5 baffles and like them a lot. Yours should work just as well though. I cranked the bolts down to 65 pounds and have no backfiring or popping but just a hint of a rumble on decel...I actually like that a lot and would not want to lose it.

By the way, you don't have your cats, they went away with your stock mufflers.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

The cat is in the headpipe, not the muffler.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Exhaust leak

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. I'm running Samson true duals with no baffles and no catalytic converters (in mufflers for 09 my) all stock AC and computer. Had some decel popping at first but it eventually went away.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
EasternPC_CustomerService
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing to check is your tuner, if the map is incorrect you could be getting a decel pop from the bike running too rich, i.e an incorrect map. You should try remapping your tuner or adjusting your carb. Usually decel popping comes from too much fuel and not enough air. Fuel tuning is a must but too much fuel can also ruin a bike. Call eastern for all your tuner and mapping needs.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Not a whole heck of a lot you're going to be able to do about it until you get a full-blown tuner on your bike. When you do, depending on the map you upload to your ECM, it may make the decel pop go away completely and it may not. It's a crap shoot, especially if you know nothing about efi maps and ignition timing and how they are applied to make your motor run it's best. At any rate, if the decal pop does not go away or decrease dramatically once you install a tuner and map, you're gonna need to advance the timing just a tad in order to make the popping go away entirely. Until then, it won't harm your bike to pop a bit on decel...

Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding decel popping is normal on an engine tuned for optimum performance. It can be detuned out if you don't want it. I had it on my Heritage Softail which had a stage one using a dyno. It was minor and I liked it.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
The cat is in the headpipe, not the muffler.
On my softail the cat was in the muffler.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Embarrassing moment with slip ons. Put on a set of Screamin Eagle slip ons shortly after I bought my bike. Stopped at the busiest intersection in town with a line of cars behind me waiting for a green light. Light changed and I accelerated......noticed bike was really loud.....looked in mirror and saw my slip ons laying in the street. Pulled into parking lot of store on corner of intersection and a girl who was walking across the intersection had stopped and picked up the mufflers by the brace that connected them together. She brought them over to me and I could have kissed her. Extreme embarrassment and I imagine a lot of cage drivers got a laugh about the Harley losing parts. Moral of story.....recheck the bolts a couple of times even if they were torqued to specs. Oh... and I'm told that some decel popping is normal with after market exhausts.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Running lean or exhaust leak or both.

cheers

Quick Reply: Help with decel pop