General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Pitbu1l
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Chrome

I am looking at getting some chrome parts powder coated... I need to remove the chrome first and googled it. Has anyone ever removed chrome from any of their parts to get painted first?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

isn't that what the powder coaters do? I thought that they media blasted parts to get down to the base layer. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Pitbu1l
Intermediate

They said it would have to be chemical stripped first and they're not setup to do that.

IDK, I also read that you could soak a part in Coke overnight and you could just wipe the chrome off in the morning.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

the coke thing is funny, if its on the internet it must be true...... you can bead blast it yourself or take it to a better powder coater.....i have P C 'd many chrome parts with zero issues....

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

I apologize, duplicate post

Last edited by Bone Doc; 04-03-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbu1l
They said it would have to be chemical stripped first and they're not setup to do that.

IDK, I also read that you could soak a part in Coke overnight and you could just wipe the chrome off in the morning.
Come on, now. If the powdercoater isn't set up to do the job the way it is supposed to be done on chromed parts, I would find a new powdercoater. That's ridiculous. Who are you sending it to, Billy Bob's Powdercoating?

You know, if you soak the chromed part in Coke and cover it with a towel in the color you want, when you wipe the chrome off, the metal will be the same color as the towel.... give me a break. Do you really think chrome will "just wipe off" by soaking it in Coke?

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

BTW, I have some land....

Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Pitbu1l
Intermediate

Injekter - There aren't many powder coaters around here... and I never said I believed it, I just read it and thought I would come to a forum to get advice on the subject. So is your advice to powdercoat over the chrome and there will be no problems?

Bone Doc - Just like I said above... There aren't many powdercoaters around here and I didn't say I believed the Coke thing, it was an inquiry on a forum that supposed to be helpful with advice... not jackasses that try to take shots at every opportunity.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had almost all of my chrome PC'd black and have never had the shop tell me that it needed stripping first.

Send Joe Knapp (JRK5892) a PM. He's a pro and can give you a straight answer.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I can't say for sure about powder coating (you should ask Joe at Powder Pros) but I know that in order to paint over chrome you need to completely abrade the surfaces. It's been a long time since I've done it and I don't remember what grade paper I used, but somewhere around 200 grit. Scotchbrite will also work but hopefully someone here will chime in with better info.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbu1l
Injekter - There aren't many powder coaters around here... and I never said I believed it, I just read it and thought I would come to a forum to get advice on the subject. So is your advice to powdercoat over the chrome and there will be no problems?

Bone Doc - Just like I said above... There aren't many powdercoaters around here and I didn't say I believed the Coke thing, it was an inquiry on a forum that supposed to be helpful with advice... not jackasses that try to take shots at every opportunity.
yes, my place said" they sand/ bead blast it then powder it... if the chrome is on good then there is no problems".....ive done my truck bumpers and steps and tons on the bike and have been nothing but satisfied....

Quick Reply: Removing Chrome