General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone sell their touring rig for a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:41 AM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Anyone sell their touring rig for a Dyna?

I like my Streetglide. It gets great mileage and has a lot of features. Problem is that it weighs a ton and isn't the fastest sled on the block.

I could sell it to my neighbor, not ride for a year and be debt-free. Then I'd probably buy some sort of Dyna. Fits my concept of a Harley better, although I do get why people like the Streetglide. Hell of a bike.

Anyone here downsized to a Dyna or Softail from a touring rig? Where you happier with the smaller bike? Here's the Street in question. Has killer pinstripping, a Stage 1 and duals. Yeah, that's me...

Last edited by bjewell; 04-02-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:44 AM
jgreth
Cruiser

That's kinda why I decided on the Road King. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:48 AM
t-bear
Cruiser

Sold my 2008 Street Glide for a 2013 Heritage.

Love the Heritage, lighter and yes seems more like a Harley should look like.

If I could I would have both, but that is not an option.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone sell their touring rig for a Dyna?-heritage.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:58 AM
CADguy
Road Captain

Had an 06 Road Glide. Yep, heavy pig. Great when the wife and I went on some long road trips. Very comfy. But my wife wanted to learn to ride and she didn't want to buy a bike until she had some saddle time. So, traded the Road Glide in on a 11 Wide Glide. Certainly not as plush as the Road Glide, but definitely a lot more fun to ride. Feel more connected to the road again.

Plus, wife got comfortable riding her own bike and now has her own 08 Super Glide.

Don't really miss the bagger all that much. If I did more long touring rides it would be nice, but for back and forth to work and day rides or weekend rides, the WG is a much better choice.

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:21 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I don't consider a softail or a dyna a downgrade because everyone has their own preference. I traded in my ultra limited and I now have a 2013 softail heritage. The softail is easier and more comfortable to ride for me. To me if you have found the right bike you have found the right bike. More does not always equate to better.

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:29 AM
bjewell
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Tails, I said downsized, not downgrade. I agree with what you said.

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:31 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member

My RK is so old it's not worth much on trade-in(except to me). So I kept it and got a Dyna.

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:45 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

I haven't downsized but I have been seriously been thinking about picking up an Street Bob. Something for short hops and local bike nights and such. I don't think I will ever get rid of the RK though.

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:48 AM
Jbco2
Cruiser

I have done it twice,
2003 Screaming eagle road king, 2011CVO Ultra.
They where both fine bikes but I'm into Fxr's and Dyna's.
My riding style and what I want out of the scoots is better satisfied with the later.

Joe

Old 04-02-2013 | 11:38 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
I like my Streetglide.... Problem is that it weighs a ton and isn't the fastest sled on the block.

Anyone here downsized to a Dyna or Softail from a touring rig? Where you happier with the smaller bike?
I can very well see doing that. Install a set of quick release bags on a Dyna and enjoy a sportier, 200 pound lighter, $6,000 less expensive motorcycle. For comfort you may need to factor in a better seat into the cost. I enjoy taking my Dyna on trips and longer rides, even more than my EG in hot weather. Not as much in cold and rain though.

Quick Reply: Anyone sell their touring rig for a Dyna?