General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone sell their touring rig for a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 11:45 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

If I didn't tour I would definitely be on a Softail

Old 04-02-2013 | 11:59 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

Hey RoadKing - those are quite the airbags on your avatar! WOW!

OK, carry on...

Old 04-02-2013 | 01:50 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
Tails, I said downsized, not downgrade. I agree with what you said.
I apologize. I must have read your post wrong. I can tell you know exactly what you want but you just haven't found it yet. I hope you find exactly what you are looking for and come back and let us know what you got.

Old 04-02-2013 | 03:12 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
I like my Streetglide. It gets great mileage and has a lot of features. Problem is that it weighs a ton and isn't the fastest sled on the block.

I could sell it to my neighbor, not ride for a year and be debt-free. Then I'd probably buy some sort of Dyna. Fits my concept of a Harley better, although I do get why people like the Streetglide. Hell of a bike.

Anyone here downsized to a Dyna or Softail from a touring rig? Where you happier with the smaller bike? Here's the Street in question. Has killer pinstripping, a Stage 1 and duals. Yeah, that's me...
I got rid of my Road King because I wanted a lighter, faster and better handling bike. I bought a new Dyna Wide Glide and really liked it at first, but after a few months I realized that I was missing my touring bike with its cruise control, saddlebags, windshield and overall comfort for long distance riding. I tried to turn the Dyna into something it wasn't and I ended up getting rid of the Dyna after only 4 months and am now back to a touring bike. I'm much happier now.

So, my advice is to make sure you can live with a Dyna before getting rid of the Tourer. If you do any long distance or 2 up riding my guess is that you will want to stick with a touring platform. In an ideal world you'd have at least two bikes.

Old 04-02-2013 | 04:28 PM
bobg03
Road Master

After selling a Heritage 10 years ago, I had essentially gone bikeless til I got a good deal on a 1500 Vulcan a few years ago.

I was saving my pennies for something I really wanted and last year I purchased a 12 Wide Glide, I love it Momma loves it.

We were looking for something different to also add to the garage, tommorow I take delivery of a 2013 Road King and we're keeping the Dyna.

Now I'm blessed and happy cause as much as the Gilde connects me to the road, we were both missing floorboards, bags and a windshield.

Old 04-02-2013 | 07:19 PM
Drat
Road Warrior

You have to feel comfortable on what you ride. Go rent a few different bikes to see what feels the best for you. Only you can figure out your level of comfort and what meets your riding style. Things change and that is why there are so many choices. I went the opposite way that you are thinking, two years ago. I am sure that some day I will go back to a non touring bike. Thats the fun of riding. Finding the bike that fits what you want to do. Good luck and let us know how your make out.

Old 04-02-2013 | 07:25 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain

NEVER would I consider this...

Old 04-02-2013 | 07:41 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member

BIL talked me into getting a Ultra Glide. Found a ten year old garage queen with 4000 miles on it. Beautiful bike, but too good at protecting the driver from the elements. No road feel, no wind on the knees, no nothing. Had it a month and traded for a Softail. Had that until the first time the wife rode behind after her stroke. Ever have someone try to climb off while you're going around a curve? That'll scare the crap out of you. Traded off for a trike, she was okay on that. She's in the nursing home now, and I've got the WG. Guess I've downsized twice. Knees and hip and back are all starting to go to hell on me, so long trips are probably not in the future anymore. So the WG is all I need for now.

Old 04-03-2013 | 01:13 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jgreth
That's kinda why I decided on the Road King. Best of both worlds IMHO.
I could not agree more.

Old 04-03-2013 | 07:09 AM
Bayfield Cty. Biker
Cruiser
Default touring vs. dyna

Originally Posted by jgreth
That's kinda why I decided on the Road King. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Good luck with your decision.
RK is only 10# lighter than the SG. I do like the fact that you can take the windshield off of the RK.

Quick Reply: Anyone sell their touring rig for a Dyna?