General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever had a close call when you were the cager

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:01 PM
MAchonewon
|
Road Master
Default Ever had a close call when you were the cager

Has anyone ever had or admit they have had a close call with a motorcycle when driving a cager?

My truck has real wide roof pillars at the front windshield. This creates a bad blind spot. I haven't seen cars before when stopped at a four way stop.While driving in a parking lot I pulled out in front of a HD rider the other day. I was going slow no close call but it made me painfully aware how small we are on our bikesmaking it difficult for us to be seen. It was dusk and he was also hidden by the row of parked cars but it made me sick to realize I didn't see him.

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:05 PM
billk
Road Master
Default RE: Ever had a close call when you were the cager

Yeah, here in SoCal, when in the show off lane (lane farthest to the left) and doing 10 mph, wanting to go to the right (don't ask me why...probably get home 12 seconds earlier), lane splitters can 'sneak' up on you...some doing 40-50 mph. Never hit one, but had a few close calls.

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:37 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah the other night i was on my way home on the slab and I had a crotch rocket, jacka$$, pull a wheelie and change lanes in front of me he almost clipped my front end, and I was accelerating if I wouldn't have jumped the brakes quickly I might have taken him out. I feel that was a close call due to motorcycle rider error, but a close call nonetheless.

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:42 PM
wldbill
Road Master

Yeah, I pulled out in front of an idiot biker from a side road. My road had a view of about 75 ft or less before it was blind a curve. The recommended speed sometimes is low to account for blind traffic. At the time, I'm sure he didn't realize he wasn't in view when I pulled out. Some folks will recognize this as Box Cyn entering onto the Santa Susanna Pass Rd. in SCal

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:57 PM
chilango13
Road Master

Hell yeah! That's what my rope is for! I'd be like WTF and SLAM that rope on that ****en Cage, Shiat!!!

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:47 AM
wldbill
Road Master

I was in my topless MGB and he came along on my right all red faced and pissed. I think it was the same weenie I passed on that road with my bicycle

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:52 AM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member

Last year while drivinga school bus some dumbazz on a POS old Honda pulled out of a side street right in front of me. I had to stand on the brakes and swerve to keep from hitting him, if I had hit him andhe would have survived I wonder if he would have told theleo's "but officer I just didn't see the big yellow school bus".

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:00 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

I don't live in Cal but if you hit one of those lane splitters while changing lanes who's fault is it? I work nights and we have to turn left across traffic into the parking lot. A friendwas turning into the parking lotand let the bike that was coming go through the looked again and almost turned in front of the other one riding a wheelie at night. His headlight was up in the air so hedidn't see him. Fortunately he saw him in time to stop.

Old 02-17-2007 | 07:04 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

One day a few years ago, I was driving out by the lake on a real nice windy road. An Airman from Travis came up behind me on his sport-bike. When we got to a straight stretch of road, I slowed and waved him by. He deserved to have fun without me getting in his way.

About a half of a mile later, I came around a bend in the road to see him tumbling in my lane. I swerved to miss him, which was problematic because I was in the same gravel he slid out on- and this was compounded by his bike sliding back across the road from the opposite direction.

Somehow, I got through both of them. I was so mad I left him in the middle of the road.

Hah- actually, I reversed and parked my car before the corner in the road with the flashers on to warn the next cars and ran to see how he was.

His hands were pretty torn up, but he wouldn't let me call for help because it would cause a problem with the Air Force. We straightened up his bars so he could get back to base. He kept telling me how great he thought I was because he said when he saw me coming he thought he was dead.

After years of missing spinning karts on a race track, you can learn some instincts that can save a life. That poor Airman couldn't believe it when I told him I hit the gas and just drove through it without thinking about it. He kept sayin two things- " I can't believe you didn't hit me !" and " Thank You ! " I wonder how his next day at work was with all of that meat off of his hands.

Old 02-17-2007 | 10:25 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Here in Michigan we have what we call michigan lefts. Well, I was about to make a michigan left into the center turn lane, and had my signal on looked in the mirror and started to get into the turn lane. All of a sudden I here a tiny little beep - beep, there was a bike in the turn lane already, damn near hit him! Now he must have been in a hurry that he had to get into the turn lane so fast, and he must have been in my blind spot when I was looking to see if it was clear to get into the lane, by the time I started into the lane he was at my rear quater panel. So, luckly he hit the horn, and I heard it. He was a little shaken up, and I was way more aware of my surroundings. BTW I was 16 or 17 at the time, so I knew it all back then The bike he was riding was quiet, I never heard the engine, one of the reasons I like loud pipes. If it would have been a louder bike, I may have heard him, and been aware that he would be trying to sneak into my lane before I got into it.

Quick Reply: Ever had a close call when you were the cager