General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter "balancing" in a turn.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Counter "balancing" in a turn.....

Badherb,,doesn'tthis give you'the slingshot effect'?

"better technique is toroll on the throttle in the middle of a turn right before your apex and leaning (counter steering) in to it at the same time this the safest turn and the one with the most traction and can actually give you faster turns. try it! works awesome.
I would not say slingshot. If your rolling on a correct amount of throttle during the turn you should be at a good cruse speed at the end of the corner. You'll be watching for your "exit" to the corner durning the manuver so you'll adjust your speed accordingly. If you roll too much throttle you'll likely swing wide at the end of the corner and get that slingshot.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Aces N Eights

For those of you who do not fully understand what is being discussed and are going to try it, please post pics of your bike after they have skidded across the pavement. I do it on occassions and I do feel like I have more control but, as previously mentioned, push too far to the left or right and a floor plate will remind you that you are not on an off-raod bike. Speaking from experience on this.

07HC

Old 02-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,049 Likes on 4,211 Posts

I know I do some 'counterbalancing' but my comfort zone is lower speeds for very much of that. Always try to mix my steer/lean/power-on vs. power-neutral vs. power-off depending on speed & radius of turn & road surface. There's usually 10 square inches, more or less, of rubber contact with the road trying to deal with almost 1,100 pounds of bike and me and g-forces at that small point of contact. It ain't all that technical IMO... feel it is more a Zen thing of all the good and bad[&o] things that the brain has learnedover almost 5 decades. But, I never realized how important 'power-on' is in turns on a heavy weight bike until about 10 years ago... as BadHerb alludes to.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel a great sense of control with the above mentioned tech.... I feel stronger and more confident while in the turn and feel I can actually go faster than if I tried any other method, although that is not my intention or the way I want to ride. When you feel like your one with your bike it is a powerful feeling.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but only at slow speeds, and to be totally honest, I do it more so on right hand turns. Turning left, I just crank it over, drag the footboards, and bring it around. For some reason however (mental block I am sure), I can't do that when turning to the right. I actually scoot my butt a bit to the left, and then let the bike lean on over, while I keep my upper body in a more upright position than the bike is.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about the only counterbalancing I do is when my O/L decides to dig who knows what out of the saddlebags and not telling me she's gonna. I can feel the whole works going one way so she wants to counterbalance the other , while I nolonger know where the heck i'm going. She's only been riding for 18-20 yrs. I know I cant expect her to know everything by now right? yep, she's good for that one at least once a year.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: BiffSteel45

I was taught counterbalancing on slow speed turns in the MSF class.
Me too!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: IAMSWUTIAMS

ORIGINAL: BiffSteel45

I was taught counterbalancing on slow speed turns in the MSF class.
Me too!
Popeye, did you and that Frog stay out all night knockin snow outta the way so it would pile up like that?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Sean originally posted that snow sculpture, we don't get much snow in San Diego

Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like what you are talking about is the technique for a swerve but smoother.