General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter "balancing" in a turn.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Counter "balancing" in a turn.....

ORIGINAL: ******

Think about the Physics of what you are doin' ,,,,,keep it up and you are going DOWN!
I don't think so Rusty. I think it is actually safer and more controlled.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:48 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BiffSteel45

I was taught counterbalancing on slow speed turns in the MSF class.
Absolutely, slow speed counter to falling in a slow lean. Did this on my Twin Jet 100 and now the Road Sofas. Read Hough's 'Proficient Motorcycling'. The physics and dymanics will astound you. Try riding off road style on a cruiser and you may get an unwanted surprise.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Badherb,,doesn'tthis give you'the slingshot effect'?

"better technique is toroll on the throttle in the middle of a turn right before your apex and leaning (counter steering) in to it at the same time this the safest turn and the one with the most traction and can actually give you faster turns. try it! works awesome.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

ORIGINAL: ******

Think about the Physics of what you are doin' ,,,,,keep it up and you are going DOWN!
I don't think so Rusty. I think it is actually safer and more controlled.
Only for slow speed parking lot and U-turn maneuvers. If you are dong this above walking speed, you are incorrect and if you push this "technique" too far at faster/normal speeds, you risk crashing, as you are wasting ground clearance by leaning the bike more than is necessary for any given turning radius and speed.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:12 AM
mike60
Stage II

Eyespy's got it 100% right.
Counterbalance in the tight slow stuff. If you lean your upper body way to the outside of the turn, you an make wicked-tight u-turns at super-slow speeds. But push the bike down at higher speeds without leaning into the turn with it and you'll be dragging hard parts all too soon. You can (usually) get away with it on a sportbike, but on yer cruiser, look out.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes to the above.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:01 AM
thesmithiz
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mike60

Eyespy's got it 100% right.
Counterbalance in the tight slow stuff. If you lean your upper body way to the outside of the turn, you an make wicked-tight u-turns at super-slow speeds. But push the bike down at higher speeds without leaning into the turn with it and you'll be dragging hard parts all too soon. You can (usually) get away with it on a sportbike, but on yer cruiser, look out.
I'd hav to second that, this is the way it is taught and explained in the MSF class. Want to prove it to yourself in a safe manner take a bicycle out and play around some and see the results, you out wiegh the bicycle and it is goingslower so the crash doesn't hurt as much. The only reason you would ride this way on anything you could hang off would be for a controled slide, like ATV riders have to do when turning on one with a live read axel.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
fairplay
Road Master

I guess I will third that. I dont particularly agree with MSF as a whole, but that one they got right. I firmly believe in the motorpolice training program. Rusty was right keep it up and buy some first aid supplys. This topic has been covered, researched and studied for years. I would say the foremost authority is Mich. State U. they have a division (first in the country) dedicated to motorcycle accident site investigation. MSU sets the standards yearly for motor training, so I gotta go with them and rusty too..

Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,119 Likes on 357 Posts

thats how I corner on my dirt bike, also if you have mid controls, put your weight, or more weight on the outside peg, that helps get more pressure lower on the bike for traction, at least it does on a dirt bike anyway

Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yea,,yea,,yea,,,, this is all great for you beginners...............
you'll get bored of this, (as I did,,about katrillion miles ago),, and will really start riding like I DO!!!

in the apex of corners,,,, I quickly let go of the bars,swing kick the outside leg,,
do a complete 360 degree turn around on the seat, and grab the bars again...what a rush!!!!

Quick Reply: Counter "balancing" in a turn.....