General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 07:42 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior
Default Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

A question for the masses. If you were planning an extended vacation and were wanting to take in some riding while there, would you consider having your bike shipped to your destination or just rent one when you got there? I have no clue what it'd cost to ship a bike (if it would even be worth the trouble). But I know folks who have done both. Just curious what most of you would do? And given thedestination, riding or even trailering the bike would not be an option. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2007 | 07:44 PM
jv225
Road Master
Default RE: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

I guess that depends on what you consider an extended vacation. 2 weeks 2 months 2 years?

Old 02-15-2007 | 07:49 PM
badherb
Road Captain

When I went on vaction OH SO LONG ago I rented a bike only cause I did not have one to ship. But I guess if I could not drive to the destination I would rent if they had rentals. The cost of shipping a bike is not cheap. And I would rather spend my cash on my vaction rather than spending it on shipping. Plus the worries of it getting damaged in shipping or just not making it to where you shipped it. Seems like a big frikken hassle.

Old 02-15-2007 | 07:53 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

Good points, guys.

As far as 'extended', I'm talking maybe 6 weeks or so? Later in the year am going to be combining a business/golf/vacation type trip to Hawaii with my wife. I know Pacific HD in Hawaii rents bikes. But I'll admit that it would be kind of cool to ride my own while down there. Plus, the downside to renting a bike is that they are bone stock; can't hear squat coming from the exhaust, etc. But the cost coupled with having to worry about any possible damage in transit would more than likely not make it worth my while. You know the drill, it never fails, you do something like this and sure enough, the bike doesn't arrive in the same condition as it left.

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:02 PM
bosnmate
Banned

If it is for six weeks or so I would consider shipping yours. I don't know about where you are going and what rental rates would be but were I live if you could find a Harley rental place in Atlanta the bikes are really expensive to rent. I wanted to rent a Heritage Softail before I decided which bike to buy and the rental with taxes and everything would of been close to $400.00 for a Friday to Monday rental. I couldn't imagine whata six week rental would of cost.

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:12 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bosnmate
I wanted to rent a Heritage Softail before I decided which bike to buy and the rental with taxes and everything would of been close to $400.00 for a Friday to Monday rental. I couldn't imagine whata six week rental would of cost.
I realize $400.00 bucks is $400.00 bucks. But to rent a Heritage for 3 days here in Austin would be closer to $610.00 once taxes, insurances, and prostate exam were all done with! They definitely stick it to ya'. Oh, and here they 'claim' to knock off the cost of your rental from the purchase price of a bike if you buy within like 30 days. What they don't tell you is that it doesn't include the tax, insurance, etc etc. So after you pay $600.00+ on a rental, you can expect for them to knock off only around half that. I guess my prospects of either renting or shipping aren't looking very good......

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:15 PM
cwilks
Banned

Had a bike shipped from Oregon to Missouri once....cost $600 or so... I can't imagine what it would cost from Texas to Hawaii, but I know it would be more than I'd want to spend going and coming back. I'd rent...you don't have to worry about shipping damage or cost. my .02

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:21 PM
jv225
Road Master

What island in Hawaii are you going to? I went to Oahu and Maui last Feb for my honeymoon and rented Harley's on both islands. It was about 135-150 $ a day. Of course I only rented them for 8 days not 6 weeks. If your going to one of those places I'll find the links to the places I rented. (One I definately would not recommend) They had bikes that weren't stock. I'm not sure what your looking to ride but I think most of the touring bikes were stock though. I would guess it would be a ton of money to ship a bike to Hawaii but I'm not sure. Pm me if you want and I could give you more info.

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:30 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jv225

What island in Hawaii are you going to? I went to Oahu and Maui last Feb for my honeymoon and rented Harley's on both islands.
Some of the trip is still in the planning stages just yet. But some time will definitely be spent at Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu.

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:31 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

you would also have to ship it quite a few days prior to your arrival and then wait quite a few days for it to come back home.

personally- shipping a bike for a vacation wouldnt even enter my mind.

rent a scooter for a couple weeks.... theyre fun on islands.

Quick Reply: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?