General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007 | 03:29 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Default RE: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

The wife and I went to the Hawaii State HOG rally last year. I checked on shipping my bike over for it. $3,000 for shipping, 30 days over, and 30 days back.. plus it has to be drained of fluids, and fluids put back in after uncrating.

We rented a SG for $150 a day.

The $3,000 sucked, but 60 days without my bike????? [sm=bs.gif]

I would like to go to Europe one day, and tour. For that I'll have my bike shipped over.

Here's a plug for the folks in Hawaii. If you EVER get a chance to go... DO IT!!! The rally is always the 2nd weekend in October. You will NEVER meet a more friendly, hospitable group. When we were there, they had the earthquake. All power was lost on the island. The rally folks had already ordered dohnutsand had them delivered (before the quake hit). They had lunch ordered for the whole rally group (heated on sterno). You couldn't buy gas.. no electricity for the pumps. They rented fueled up 15 passenger vans and took us out on the planned ride route to show us the sites, and tell us the history behind them. When the rally was over, there was foood left over, and they gave it to us out-of-stste folks, because you couldn't get food anywhere.. no way to cook it. Southern hospitality on steriods!!

Old 02-16-2007 | 04:29 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ultraultra
The rally is always the 2nd weekend in October. You will NEVER meet a more friendly, hospitable group. When we were there, they had the earthquake.
That's unreal. I had no idea that's when the rally was. This past October, my wife and I (along with my brother and his wife) were scheduled to fly out to Hawaii the VERY DAY that they had the earthquake. Having purchased insurance on the trip, we elected to hold off on going. We're going again this October. Now I'm really excited knowing there's a rally going on during that time! Thanks again for all the good info folks!!

Old 02-16-2007 | 05:12 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

Personnaly, I would prefer my own ride wherever I went.... just my humble opinion.

Regards... Dick