General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007 | 02:55 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Default RE: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

Hey TX have you considered one of the Harley cruises where you take your bike on a cruise with you? We have been looking into it, sort of expensive, but I think it would be great to have your own bike on some of the islands. We also have a toyhauler that I love, we have our bike and our own beds too.

Old 02-16-2007 | 03:07 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

Good points, guys.

As far as 'extended', I'm talking maybe 6 weeks or so? Later in the year am going to be combining a business/golf/vacation type trip to Hawaii with my wife. I know Pacific HD in Hawaii rents bikes. But I'll admit that it would be kind of cool to ride my own while down there. Plus, the downside to renting a bike is that they are bone stock; can't hear squat coming from the exhaust, etc. But the cost coupled with having to worry about any possible damage in transit would more than likely not make it worth my while. You know the drill, it never fails, you do something like this and sure enough, the bike doesn't arrive in the same condition as it left.
Thats EXACTLY it...I'd rather my scoot be home safe n sound...and if something does happen, you can imagine the hassle, and then WORST case is its damaged bad enuf ya can't ride it. So you're renting anyway.

Better off renting it. And it gives you the chance to try something new also. Pick it up, ride it, turn it in. Done. Peace of mind.

Old 02-16-2007 | 03:19 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hondaherb

Hey TX have you considered one of the Harley cruises where you take your bike on a cruise with you? We have been looking into it, sort of expensive, but I think it would be great to have your own bike on some of the islands. We also have a toyhauler that I love, we have our bike and our own beds too.
It's funny you mention that. One of the lady's who works for me has a brother who isalong time Harley guy. He's been all over the world on Harley runs, vacations, rallies, etc. Just last year, she told me that he went on a 'Harley' themed cruise where he was able to take his bike along with. She told me that he goes on them regularly. Says they are a blast! That'd be something cool to check out too. My wife loves taking cruise type vacations. Myself, I'm not exactly the 'cruise' type. But I imagine if it were coupled with a bunch of like minded Harley folks, I could see how it'd be cool.

Old 02-16-2007 | 04:08 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain

Another thing I hadn't thought about would be having my bike exposed to the salt air all that time. I had a show bike with alot of Gold Plating, and a full week of salt at bikeweek was bad enough for me. So I guess I would vote on renting instead of shipping my bike.

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:27 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hondaherb

Another thing I hadn't thought about would be having my bike exposed to the salt air all that time. I had a show bike with alot of Gold Plating, and a full week of salt at bikeweek was bad enough for me. So I guess I would vote on renting instead of shipping my bike.
Never even thought about that? Good point.

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:28 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I was in CA visiting family in September and rented a RK for a week. I live in MA and it didn't seem to make sense to ship my bike out there for a week.

I'm meetingfamily in Phoenix in March for a week of riding and I'm renting a bike out there for a week also. Same reasoning.

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:45 PM
kingultra
Cruiser

I was in Honolulu in January working (with a few days off) and rented from HOG FLY and Ride program. The bike cost 100 per day including insurance. Make your reservations through the HOG fly and ride 1-800-CLUB-HOG they will take care of everything for you and tell you where to pick up you bike. This is a differant program then the rentals. You will have a bike that belongs to the Fly and Ride program not just a rental. I noticed that the fly and ride bikes had a few extras on them where the rentals did not. This is the way to do it if you are a hog member

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:50 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

rent a ship to ride your bike on!!!

Old 02-16-2007 | 02:12 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

rent a ship to ride your bike on!!!
Now Rick, why is it that I'm not at all surprised byyour reply?

Old 02-16-2007 | 02:13 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kingultra

I was in Honolulu in January working (with a few days off) and rented from HOG FLY and Ride program. The bike cost 100 per day including insurance. Make your reservations through the HOG fly and ride 1-800-CLUB-HOG they will take care of everything for you and tell you where to pick up you bike. This is a differant program then the rentals. You will have a bike that belongs to the Fly and Ride program not just a rental. I noticed that the fly and ride bikes had a few extras on them where the rentals did not. This is the way to do it if you are a hog member
Thank you!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?